Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: whiteylfc on March 26, 2013, 11:05:03 AM

Title: boyer bransden electronic ignition
Post by: whiteylfc on March 26, 2013, 11:05:03 AM
i've just put a boyer bransden kit including mini coils on my Phil Read Rep.All went on okay but after about 10 secs it cuts out so i cant do a strobe check on the timing....anyone else had this problem or can offer a solution before i rip it off and put the old bits back on.One of the 3 lugs that hold the base plate down had sheared off (old damage) so i'm not sure if the new plastic plate will vibrate too much on 2 lugs.
Title: Re: boyer bransden electronic ignition
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on March 26, 2013, 01:07:44 PM
The Boyer system on my/Eamon's Dresda melted just outside Leatherhead.

I switched back to points...   It's all very well having original 70's exotica but the electronics in those days was definitely of it's time (I know - I was an electronics engineer at the time)

 :(
Title: Re: boyer bransden electronic ignition
Post by: Waggles on March 27, 2013, 07:10:52 AM
Don't have any experience with these systems myself being a confirmed points man ( if it works don't f**k with it is my philosophy ) but that doesn't help you. If its an unstable backplate ( which is a good theory ) you could try temporarily glueing a third lug ( or just a suitable nut or something ) on with JB weld. If it works you could make it more permanent perhaps by drilling through from outside, screwing just below flush then filling and rub down / paint to make it look nice?

If it is the backplate I would imagine it could also be hard to start as it moves about and puts the timing out, is that the case? Have also heard that battery voltage can be critical on electronic systems so I would check yours and perhaps give it a charge
Title: Re: boyer bransden electronic ignition
Post by: whiteylfc on March 30, 2013, 12:38:33 PM
my philosophy has always been "if it aint broke,dont fix it" but i found to my cost at the '12 I.O.M. T.T. that old h.t.leads and pouring rain dont mix....while i was changing the coils i thought i'd try electronic ignition.i've cleaned the battery terminals and it hasnt cut out since.i just need another pair of hands to help me with the strobe light.thanks for all the suggestions..
Title: Re: boyer bransden electronic ignition
Post by: Yoshi823 on April 04, 2013, 04:35:00 PM
I fitted BB pointless ignition to my 750 special without any problems...ever. I also fitted Andrews high performance coils, silicone leads, resistorless plug caps & NGK D8EV plugs. When I installed the blue & yellow leads to the laminate back plate I used thread lock to stop the small nuts on the connector posts from coming undone.
Title: Re: boyer bransden electronic ignition
Post by: whiteylfc on April 06, 2013, 04:13:32 PM
thanks mate.it seems to run alot better on 97 octane petrol.did u have a read replica?if so what was its reg.number,etc..i'm running a website for all reads/honda britains...dead or alive....www.cb750f2hondabritainoc.co.uk      i wouldnt mind some advice re.big bore kits for the 750.....i have 4 bikes and fancy boring one out abit...looking for more pep.
Title: Re: boyer bransden electronic ignition
Post by: Yoshi823 on April 11, 2013, 08:23:56 PM
I didn't have a PRR/SS but it was based loosely on the PRR.

(http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/My750042.jpg)

When I went to the Isle of Man TT back in '83 I wanted to position my bike in the same place as Bike magazine did when testing the PRR  & placed in front of the Highlander pub on the TT course

(http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/Tims750.jpg)
Title: Re: boyer bransden electronic ignition
Post by: whiteylfc on April 13, 2013, 03:54:17 PM
absolutely love the look of your bike.very aggressive and 'of the day'...is that a rickman fairing??....gave me some ideas for a special i could build out of a honda britain frame and bits i've collected on my travels.......john
Title: Re: boyer bransden electronic ignition
Post by: Yoshi823 on April 30, 2013, 12:08:11 PM
The full story is here http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234539&highlight=history+honda+750