Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: PatM on April 21, 2013, 07:50:02 PM

Title: Front brake
Post by: PatM on April 21, 2013, 07:50:02 PM
Not used my 400/4 for about 18 months-cant ride too many bikes! Reading some of the Cafe racer restor3s, what IS  a good replacement for the dreaded stock master cylinder that delivers such a terrible brake,,,?
Title: Re: Front brake
Post by: hairygit on April 21, 2013, 07:52:34 PM
Nothing wrong with the stock master cylinder, check the caliper is swinging freely, and fit decent pads, my 400Four put me on my arse on more than one occasion locking the front wheel in the dry!
Title: Re: Front brake
Post by: PatM on April 21, 2013, 08:24:01 PM
It's never been any good. Yes, the caliper swings and I've a few sets of pads I've tried.
Title: Re: Front brake
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on April 21, 2013, 08:37:19 PM
Patm.
Have to agree with hairygit but after riding modern bikes even a 2001 model of any kind brake tech came on good.After riding my XJR the CB750 is something different but as hairy says anything pattern is not Honda.Would you fly a spitfire airplane flat out or would you consider today the way things have changed may not be that good?
Title: Re: Front brake
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on April 21, 2013, 08:48:01 PM
I always take a reality check on the old bikes I have. All areas of performance are a dissapointment against more recent stuff. Even my 91 cbr6 (still old now) made my tuned CB900 seem like a barge. Ride the old bikes for different reasons and judge them as such.
Title: Re: Front brake
Post by: Green1 on April 21, 2013, 08:55:04 PM
Crap brakes make the bike in my opinion
I have far more fun on the 750 then I do my Triumph at half the speed.

Mick
Title: Re: Front brake
Post by: PatM on April 22, 2013, 06:17:25 AM
Morning Guys- thanks for all that- Ive never seen a modded front set-up caliper. I know the delivery pressure is poor on the 400/4 and in my case, the pads are never 100% in contact with the disk.When I had a Daytona (03) the Dealer said the brake was always going to be poor as the factory had got it wrong- I was used to my 01 R1 (which I still have) and that stopped at breakneck rates. I better stoke the old girl up and give her a run- as I said, Ive not ridden her for a while..but shes not going anywhere and prefers a warm garage, Im sure. One thing I did do was fit an AGM battery to it- stays charged for months/years. Daily hack is a BMW GSA and as is said, modern bikes/tires and screens...
Title: Re: Front brake
Post by: Bryanj on April 22, 2013, 07:23:14 AM
Compared to what else was about in the day the 750/500 front disc was incredibly good but things have gone on from there

If the caliper and seal groove are clean, outside of the pad clean so it slides in the caliper easily, no piston pits, super free pivot and a rebuilt master you should be able to squeal the front tyre in the dry if you try REALLY hard which means it would lock in the wet and that delivers lots of oooh nasties