Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: ashewan on April 26, 2013, 02:50:41 PM

Title: cheeky seal question
Post by: ashewan on April 26, 2013, 02:50:41 PM
Hi,
Somewhat trivial question;-)  But you never know the depth of knowledge/science/tribal knowledge involved in the answer (if there is one;-)  :D
I could spend the next few minutes/hours/days? manoeuvring a new float bowl seal into place, such that it stays there, prior to screwing bowl to carburettor (1975 400 four carb set). Or..
I could ask  and presumably get responses telling me to...do something rude to myself. But perhaps there really is a 'neat' way of doing this.
Cheers
Andrew
Title: Re: cheeky seal question
Post by: mickwinf on April 26, 2013, 03:29:07 PM
I presume you have the modern round shaped seal, it is difficult to keep them in the groove while bolting the float chamber on, my way was a dab of superglue at each corner of the groove in the chamber then stick the rubber in, allow to dry for a minute then screw it on. Worked for me, I also tried grease and gasket cement but they did not hold firmly enough, hope this helps!
Title: Re: cheeky seal question
Post by: ashewan on April 26, 2013, 04:53:00 PM
Mick,
Yes I'm using the round seal and thanks for the idea of the glue. Was unsure about that but since you have used it with no adverse effects on the seal? then I will too.
Andrew
Title: Re: cheeky seal question
Post by: steven400/4 on April 26, 2013, 05:10:34 PM
i just stretch them by pulling them a little bit and they stay in place for me
Title: Re: cheeky seal question
Post by: mickwinf on April 26, 2013, 09:18:10 PM
I found that it was impossible to stretch them into shape without them popping out again!
Title: Re: cheeky seal question
Post by: ashewan on April 27, 2013, 07:02:47 AM
In the end I used a lot of rubber grease in the seal channel; that held the o ring in place and then screwed up the bowl. This morning I took off the bowl, wiped away the excess grease and the o ring has stayed in place!
Cheers
Andrew

Update: Did the above on the remaining carbs and has worked a treat.
Title: Re: cheeky seal question
Post by: Lynx on April 29, 2013, 08:50:44 PM
I put a few dabs of clear silicone instant gasket into the o-ring groove, leave it a minute to start setting. Then fit the o-ring and float bowl. No problem.