Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Lynx on May 04, 2013, 01:21:45 PM

Title: Another Polishing Question
Post by: Lynx on May 04, 2013, 01:21:45 PM
Hello again.

Please take a look at the generator cover below which I have started polishing up. I've been all over it with a range of wet emery paper grades and polished it with a 1st cut mop and brown compound. The trouble is I can't get rid of this corrosion/mottling. Any ideas anyone? Maybe it's not possible.

Cheers
Steve
Title: Re: Another Polishing Question
Post by: sweetpeauk on May 04, 2013, 08:29:42 PM
I would start again and start with at least 100 grit, or use a 80 grit flap wheel in a drill and take very light strokes and then go back to wet and dry to take the bumps and lines out. Sometimes you just can't get it all out and it's better to look for a better case to start with.
Title: Re: Another Polishing Question
Post by: Lynx on May 05, 2013, 07:36:47 AM
Oh really?  :-[. I haven't done the flap wheel bit but I have spent hours on it working up from 200 grit to 1200 grit wet and dry. I haven't done anything with the gouges because they are so deep. I thought to file/rub them out will leave the case looking out of shape. I'll think about it ::)

I do have another case. It has been painted black at some point but when the paint has flaked of there is still some tarnishing  :'(
Title: Re: Another Polishing Question
Post by: sweetpeauk on May 06, 2013, 08:48:48 PM
Also when taking out the deep marks remember to level out the material each side so that the deep removal is not so noticeable.
Title: Re: Another Polishing Question
Post by: Lynx on May 15, 2013, 07:55:38 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I have got it looking better now but not perfect. I'm keen to get the bike on the road for summer. So I'll attach it again next winter.

Cheers
Steve