Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: jojotut on June 14, 2013, 10:27:45 AM

Title: How do I Remove scratches from plastic lenses
Post by: jojotut on June 14, 2013, 10:27:45 AM
H
Title: Re: How do I Remove scratches from plastic lenses
Post by: jojotut on June 14, 2013, 10:30:58 AM
Hi everyone, rebuilding the clocks on my K0, I have bought new faceplates and jewels but did not want to have new bodies and lenses. Anyone done this before? The lenses need cleaning inside and out whats the best method.
Thanks
JOJOTUT
Title: Re: How do I Remove scratches from plastic lenses
Post by: sweetpeauk on June 14, 2013, 02:15:37 PM
I have done indicator lenses with plastic polishing compound and a soft mop. fantastic results but be very careful, to much pressure and the plastic melts and smears. 
Title: Re: How do I Remove scratches from plastic lenses
Post by: steff750 on June 14, 2013, 02:58:11 PM
 ;) try with any polish first(I used mr sheen of course)  or better still window cleaner,you will be surprised at the results ,mine was so bad that I thought they had cracks not scratches, but they came up real nice,you wont believe how  how much crap sticks inside them clocks over the years
Title: Re: How do I Remove scratches from plastic lenses
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on June 14, 2013, 04:10:42 PM
Used to use Brasso on watch lenses.
Title: Re: How do I Remove scratches from plastic lenses
Post by: neat street on June 14, 2013, 11:02:39 PM
hi, a lot depend on how bad they are!! if there not too bad then you can use a fine cutting compound like `T cut`Farecla G10, Festool 5,000 speedcut, with a felt attached to a drill (must be variable speed) use the drill at a very low speed so you don't build up any heat (make sure you use enough compound, and add some fine spray of water if it starts to dry out) and this should work out fine. ideally use a small 90mm polisher at speed 2-3, but most do not have access to these. If the scratches are bad, then you may have to use very fine abrasives first, 1,000g, 1,200g, 1500g. do some tests first on some plastic (acrylic glass) to get used to the speeds that would be ideal and feel the glass every so often to see how hot it gets (can get warm, but not hot), Hope this helps
Title: Re: How do I Remove scratches from plastic lenses
Post by: Spitfire on June 15, 2013, 09:04:10 AM
Try a nail buffer, or micromesh.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: How do I Remove scratches from plastic lenses
Post by: jojotut on June 17, 2013, 01:09:19 PM
Thanks lads
JOJOTUT