Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: fothers on May 10, 2006, 12:31:32 PM

Title: Converting sealed beam headlamp to halogen bulb
Post by: fothers on May 10, 2006, 12:31:32 PM
Hi Comrades,
I want to convert the old sealed beam Stanley unit on my 1976 CB550F2 so it will take a replacable halogen bulb. Does anyone know where I can get a kit that will fit? I've seen some dodgy-looking sets online and don't want to get stung with some \"universal-fitting\" rubbish.
Cheers,
Pete.
Title: Re:Converting sealed beam headlamp to halogen bulb
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on May 10, 2006, 10:28:14 PM
Never seen a conversion kit, but the US guys swear that you can fit a standard 7\" auto (that's car to us) sealed unit to the chrome rims and slot it staright in.

Post edited by: SteveD CB500F, at: 2006/05/10 22:28
Title: Re: Converting sealed beam headlamp to halogen bulb
Post by: internix on August 04, 2009, 10:42:05 PM
I bought a brand new headlight unit from a Taiwanese company that lists on ebay.com (rather than .co.uk). You get the unit complete with a halogen H4 60/55w bulb, Chrome plated metal rim and a trailing connector to plug the CB550`s 3 pin plug into. The quality is superb. The only slight downside is that there is no hole for the sidelight bulb, but was not a problem to locate a bulb and holder from a local car accessory shop. I carefully drilled a hole in the reflector, which is made of mirror coated plastic, fitted a rubber grommet in the hole and pushed the new bulbholder in for a good friction fit. All in all I think it was fantastic value for $29.99 (
Title: Re: Converting sealed beam headlamp to halogen bulb
Post by: Bryanj on August 04, 2009, 11:41:00 PM
A standard 7inch car headlamp will fit BUT you will have to drive round at 5,500rpm plus in order to just keep up with the power drain!!! The alternators on the 500/550 only just cope