Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: cb750stu on July 08, 2013, 01:19:32 AM
-
Hi Folks i need to extend quite a bit of my wiring loom so i can fit all my electrical bits under my cafe seat,
I am away to order some different colour wire so what size and what amps do i need ie 15 amps 27 amps etc ???
Regards
-
If yoou want to move the parts a long way you need to overspec the wiring size to stop voltage drops due to length especially on any wiring to battery or rectifier
-
There not getting moved far just from standard position to under the seat maybe 10 " !!!!
Cheers
-
Thats a long way in volt drop language mate
-
Really ??
Any suggestions on what i should go for ??
Not much of a electrical guru im afraid,
Cheers
-
Not sure what the original wire cross section size is but I would at least double it for that distance, and solder any connectors
-
You can use a smaller guage wire these days compared to what was available in the 70's. I did a bit of research last year and promptly lost all my links. :-\
-
(For the 400F).... OEM Wiring is generally 30/0.2 strand PVC coloured cable. Modern vehicle wiring is thin wall 32/.2 (2mm 16.5A) strand hard PVC for better abrasion resistance, higher current rating, higher operating temperature and lighter weight (but not quite as flexible).
(the above words shamelessly copied from a very professional 400F rebuild blog)
(Me speaking...). The above 16.5A suggestion should be plenty for the typical loads on an old CB750 - assuming you're not loading it up with triple headlamps etc - 16.5A would be good for approaching 200W of power - (ie more than your alternator output) - a single headlamp is typically 65W)
To get a working idea of wire rating simply sum the watts through your circuit, and divide by the voltage (12V) to get the current rating.... eg head + tail + stop + indicators might be 65W+5W+20W + 36W= 126Watts... /12 = just over 10Amps. (15A wiring good here)
Suggest you include a fuse, with a value (obviously) less than the wire amp rating.
And check your alternator output as I think it may be I the region of 13A (156W) - don't overload it!
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/category/10
Cheers,
Lobo
-
I'm useless with electrickery so I just chose a wire that had a rating a bit higher than the fuses in the bike. :)
-
Your not the only one Lester I managed to blow the electric meter of the wall changing the living room lights ???
Don,t ask me what I did I still don,t know :-[
-
Cheers Folks for the answers !!!
Im not going to be running indicators or electric start so im not really doing much to the loom apart from not using a few bits and just making a few bits longer to reach under the seat,im not really looking forward to the wiring part at all im hopeless with diagrams etc i might have to get my Dad up to help hes good with that kind of stuff.
Thanks again
Stuart
PS If im not using the indicator wires etc do i just blank them off or cut them back ??
-
I would leave them in case you change your mind in the future.
-
Good point Lester ill keep them !!!