Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Green1 on July 10, 2013, 04:51:32 PM

Title: fuel cap pin
Post by: Green1 on July 10, 2013, 04:51:32 PM
Hi all I got home late last night and for some strange reason thought it was a good idea to put a new fuel cap on my tank
So to cut a long story short my eyes don,t work to well at 1 am and I have now lost the pin  ::) Is there anyone out there that stocks a replacement or am I going to have to bung a cork in the top of the tank from now on.
Why I always work on the bikes at stupid O'clock I will never know.
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on July 10, 2013, 07:04:42 PM
Hi,
Best bet are the usual places but I have seen them on the German ebay.
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on July 10, 2013, 08:01:58 PM
Run a search on .net as I'm sure there was someone on there who was making them in stainless...
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: mickwinf on July 10, 2013, 09:24:16 PM
I got one recently through ebay from America, came as a pair with the one for the catch, and was the original style that needs riveting. I have also seen ones that use a circlip for sale also on ebay
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: Bryanj on July 11, 2013, 06:20:57 AM
The cap pin was available as new from Dave Silver , Its the catch pin that has been obsoleted
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: Lobo on July 11, 2013, 10:28:52 PM
In the last couple of months I've bought the hinge pin from DSS.

17514323300P Fuel Tank cap pivot pin £2.95

...plus of course the robbing gov'ts VAT, and postage.
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: Lobo on July 27, 2013, 03:52:11 AM
Gents... on my (400F) tank's return I shall need to install the filler cap. Any tips / hints / tricks on how to install the rivet.... any special tools etc?
Ta muchly.
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: Green1 on July 30, 2013, 12:00:16 AM
Hi Lobo
with my catch pin I placed a ball bearing on the hollow end of the pin held in place with a small dab of grease and then placed a pair of slip pliers over the pin and gently squeezed until it flared out.I'm yet to try it with the cap as i'm still waiting for the pin to arrive.
It makes you sweat a bit holding pliers that close to fresh paint.
   
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: Lobo on July 30, 2013, 03:30:04 AM
Thanks Green1. There's an idea, and now wondering if I can substitute your pliers with a mole-grip set to the correct gap. (Ie less horrific snap down should it slip). Still a bit fraught tho, I've waited bloody ages for the tank, and not akin to wailing in front of the missus...
Lobo
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: Green1 on July 30, 2013, 10:12:30 PM
I thought about mole-grips but mine release uncontrollably
You don't need to put much pressure on the pin to rivet it over 
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: mick on July 30, 2013, 10:44:48 PM
I have seen photos I think on the US site were someone has used a small G clamp & ball bearing to fit the pin  ;) cheers Mick.
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: Lobo on July 31, 2013, 02:00:52 AM
Now there's a (nice) idea....
Thanks Green1 / Mick..
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: Waggles on July 31, 2013, 07:22:45 AM
Probably goes without saying but I would cover the tank with something to catch the ball bearing!
Title: Re: fuel cap pin
Post by: Lobo on July 31, 2013, 08:48:54 AM
Aye Waggles.... onto that. Will wait for he missus to go out & whip down the best curtains...