Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: ka-ja on August 26, 2013, 01:58:23 PM
-
Hi,
Bought a 2nd had tank a while ago, and like an idiot I had it painted, now when I have got round to fitting it, it doesn't fit the mounts properly, can anyone give me the distance between a---the tank inner gap between the inside of the front mounts
b---the distance between the front bottom welded seams
A frontal photo of the tank out of the frame would also help!
I think the front of the tank is sprayed apart by about 25 mm or more, there was a knee dent central on one side, but I ignored it.--cheers
-
Sounds like somebody has tried using an air line to push the dent out and spread the tank.
You can "bear hug" it back bet that may crack the paint of shim out the front rubbers to fit
-
Hi,
Hadn't thought of the airline trick, either way it looks like an expensive paint job is in the money pit, a same because internally it was sound, if I try to hug it in the paint job will probably go, and I think to :( the pad out the mounting option is a little iffy, as it barely hangs on the rubbers and the sides are at an angle, start to reconcile myself to another tank, that is if the tears don't rust that as well
-
If Id seen htis earlier, Id have measured mine for you, as I has it off to replace the rectangular see-through in line fuel filter..which started to leak after 2 weeks. They are glued together... As your tank is effectively scrap in its present width- id give it the bear-hug that Brian suggests as you have little to loose.
-
I had an SR 500 yam tank that i had painted and that was spread but i managed to get it back with a hug--ooh makes you feel good.
If you dont feel safe with a hug put plenty of padding on the sides and use a racthet srap like we use to hold loads onto trucks
-
I am not convinced that air pressure was the cause of this as air pressure from inside the tank would force tank out in an outward direction in all areas so would tend to push the centre tunnel sides nearer rather than further apart. Also compressing the outer part of the tank may sort the outer shape but I doubt it would affect the tunnel area. Is it possible there are different sizes of mounting rubbers to take up the distance?
-
i,m a man that likes everythink right on my bike but you could get some ali pipe glue it over the lugs on the frame drill out the rubber holes to fit or glue two rubbers together and cut to size
-
Hi,
The "damage" probably occurred during some form of accident, as there was a knee dent in one side of the tank, and I failed to spot the inner damage while sorting all the other pieces ready for painting, I will try a squeeze/hug, but just how much force will it take?., it is a long way out, the two front mounts are angled downwards quite a bit, and only engage by about 6mm each side, giving 20mm of side play. And it looked so good sat on top of a wardrobe the last 6 months!
As for extending things, I am not too sure, there is a lot of structural strength in the correct fittings, and a lot of weight in a full tank of fuel, will try for a photo.
-
Mick, way back when i saw several where owners had tried to save money and used an air line, dont know the exact physics but the tunnel has many shapes into the flat and is basically stronger. What happens is the tank "Uncurls" from arroung the curve at the top of the tunnel hence wider at the front. Done with care and lots of padding the ratchet strap will probably be a better job
-
I can see what you mean Bryan. If you pressurised a tube in the shape of a capital C it would open out.
Kaja - I have a spare tank that needs some work ( but is the right shape ). If you are interested you can have it for a nominal sum, nothing like the extortionate prices on eBay. PM me and I can send some pics
-
Hi,
I can see what pressure would do in the tank, a bit like a bourdan tube in a pressure gauge, except it didn't spring back!
-
Hi,
Thanks for all the input and Dan's offer, I ended up on the lorry ratchet route using some soft webbing, and after figuring out how to stop the webbing from sliding off the tank when tightened, ended up with a usable tank that needs a little damage correction, but it could have been far worse