Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Tricks & Tips => Topic started by: bomber on August 28, 2013, 02:37:03 PM

Title: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: bomber on August 28, 2013, 02:37:03 PM
Hello,
I'm stuck.
I have to take front wheel off (bolt holding calliper on my CB550 sheered thread) but I don't have centre stand.
Is any one  using MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND?
They seems to be the cheapest option out there to lift the whole bike.
Any other ideas?


Many thanks
Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: cb750stu on August 28, 2013, 05:38:42 PM
Hi Bomber I'm using one at the moment for my 750 build plenty strong to hold full bike weight I've just strapped the frame down with 2 ratchet straps easy to remove wheels forks etc !!!

Cheers
Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: busa on August 28, 2013, 06:39:40 PM
I use one of these  they are easy to use   and move around with the bike on it

(http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p729/busa015/images_zpsb8ef3be9.jpg) (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/busa015/media/images_zpsb8ef3be9.jpg.html)

this is my one
(http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p729/busa015/Photo0434_zpsc241c691.jpg) (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/busa015/media/Photo0434_zpsc241c691.jpg.html)
Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: bomber on August 28, 2013, 10:29:26 PM
Thanks,
Stu are you using one like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-04992-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-FRAME-SCISSOR-STAND-LIFT-500KG-/190666511275?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D230376708199%26ps%3D54

My concern is that there is no space for the pipes if you are using lift with flat bottom like yours Busa

Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: cb750stu on August 29, 2013, 08:03:26 AM
No its one like this im using

Cheers
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-HYDRAULIC-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-ATV-QUAD-4-WHEEL-WORKSHOP-SCISSOR-LIFT-JACK-/300952895343?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item461230bf6f
Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: hairygit on August 29, 2013, 12:38:46 PM
Hey Stu, the one you appear to be using has a max capacity of 300lbs, a CB750 complete is pushing 500lbs, be careful as you progress with the build! :o
Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: cb750stu on August 30, 2013, 08:07:04 AM
Yeah i know ive only got the frame and engine on the stand i didnt want to risk it collapsing it will be coming off when i get the wheels on !!!

Cheers
Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: bomber on August 30, 2013, 09:57:59 AM
Good point about weight.
Still looking for something I can use while keeping pipes one.
Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: busa on August 30, 2013, 08:53:10 PM
good point bomber,    I never really noticed.  but saying that  the stand can be used the other way aswell 
Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: bomber on September 01, 2013, 08:21:26 AM
Busa, would you hang bike on the bottom of the engine? I would prefer to rest the bike on the frame.
I'm going to make a stand form MDF as I don't have much cash and I'm not convinced what I have found so far on the web.
Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: matthewmosse on September 01, 2013, 08:55:03 AM
I use a chain hoist and loop of baler string rather than a bike lift. Chain hoists are relatively cheap and east to get with lifting capacities that are genrally inpressive, downside is having a good place to  hang them from. Also usefull for removing landrover engines or installing them.
Title: Re: MOTORCYCLE BIKE FRAME SCISSOR STAND
Post by: busa on September 03, 2013, 08:35:08 PM
defo by the frame.   if you have a garage  you can hang the frame from the back  under the seat  with rachet straps  and the same around the headstock..   I have done this  for spraying.frame   without engine in place.  also had it hanging with engine in

if you want to just take the wheels of.  get a pair of paddock stands  make sure the one for rear  has the blade lifters and not hooks

I am sure you will find a way.  it all depends what you are planning to do