Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on September 03, 2013, 10:08:23 AM

Title: Rear drive chain
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on September 03, 2013, 10:08:23 AM
Hi All,
Over the years I have not kept up to date on chain technology.When restoring I just ordered chain and sprockets from DS.I have noticed in less than 600 kilometres it has already tight spots and is stretching like an elastic band especially after a screaming time.Your recommendations are needed.Make type etc.Would not like it to snap on me.
Many Thanks
Bitsa
Title: Re: Rear drive chain
Post by: Bryanj on September 03, 2013, 03:17:52 PM
The 750 will happily handle an "O" ring chain, unlike the 500, so any decent name 530 HD"O" ring chain should be good.
Title: Re: Rear drive chain
Post by: Green1 on September 03, 2013, 06:49:09 PM
Hi Bitsa
I have a DID O ring chain and have done nearly 1500 miles on it and have not had to adjust or oil it yet  :)  and anyone that has seen me going up and down the A12 & A14 will know I don't hang around. X ring chains are even better I never had to oil the chain on the Triumph  and that lasted 13000 miles the chain was still fine but the sprockets were totally shot
Title: Re: Rear drive chain
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on September 03, 2013, 07:42:25 PM
Thanks Bryan,Green1.
Will this chain you are recommending be ok with the sprockets DS supplied or should I just get as seen on bay the full kit?
DID Oring kit.
Cheers
Again
Bitsa
Title: Re: Rear drive chain
Post by: Green1 on September 03, 2013, 07:52:52 PM
I tend to buy them as a kit they normally come with JT front sprockets and cheap steel rear sprockets.Busters quite often do good deals
Title: Re: Rear drive chain
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on September 03, 2013, 07:55:09 PM
Thanks mate
Bitsa
Title: Re: Rear drive chain
Post by: Yoshi823 on September 04, 2013, 10:36:58 AM
I always found that the best sprockets were OEM when I had my 750F2 and 550s. The quality of some pattern stuff was not that good.

As for chains, the 630 size on my 750F2 was quite large & so the prices of new chains reflected this. One chain that I regret buying was one thrown together by Regina. Although an 'O' ring chain, it stretched so much within 1800 miles that I had to replace it. In the end I bought one made by Izumi which was OEM for GS100s at the time. This was on the bike until the big smash.
Title: Re: Rear drive chain
Post by: Waggles on September 05, 2013, 07:32:12 AM
I am using a DID X ring chain, used a chain and sprocket kit. Have also fitted a chain oiler. The oiler tends to keep the chain cleaner as well as oiled. 2,500 miles so far and I haven't had to adjust it at all .......