Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: cb750stu on September 14, 2013, 08:31:27 AM
-
Hi folks I've got a couple of questions about cam chain adjustment ??
Does anyone have a idiots guide to doing it please ??
Is it best adjusted when the motors running ??
Does anyone have a spare adjuster lock bolt for sale my one doesnt look right !!!
Cheers Stu
-
NEVER with the engine running on a 750, the lockbolt is a standard 6mm threaded bolt and nut, I have repeatedly posted a method for tensioning please try the search function
EDIT
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=1784.0
-
Hi Stu, the camchain adjuster bolt and nu are just standard M6 items, I replaced mine with stainless steel items many years ago, and no problems ;D As regards chain adjustment, I certainly WOULD NOT try doing it on a running engine :o I seem to remember that you wind the engine over with a spanner on the crank in the points cover to just past the "T" mark,so that the spring peg of the advance unit is lined up with the timing mark on the crankcase,(http://) that way all the slack in the chain is at the rear, where the adjuster can take it up, whatever you do, if you go past the mark, continue around again until it's lined up, as trying to wind it back even a fraction will result in the slack being at the front of the engine, which is no use at all! :(
-
Stu
Plus one with Bryan and Hairygit.
Cheers
Bitsa
-
Cheers Guys i took of my tappet covers on cylinder 1 (left hand side of bike) then cranked the engine over til the T mark was lined up with the mark then turned it till the spring peg was lined up with the same mark ??
At this point should the valve adjusters be loose ?? I cant move mine they seem solid ?? Do the valves need adjusted ??
Cheers Stuart
-
Only if they exceed 2thou inlet and 3 thou exhaust! But, do consult a manual as to the exact engine position for checking each tappet ;D
-
Cheers mate when i have it lined up with the mark they wont budge at all ??
I take it that the exhaust are at the front and inlet are at the back of the engine ??
Cheers
-
Stu,
Turn engine over until you see the inlet valve open then close on number 1 cylinder (carbside) and then line the T on the line.Both tappets should have play on them.Then turn until spring spigot is lined up,it wont be much then adjust camchain.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Bitsa
-
Cheers Bitsa the above seemed to have worked when I undid the lock bolt it did move in a tad so I take it it was taking up the slack then I just did up the bolt again !!!
Cheers
-
Yup
cheers
Bitsa