Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: cb750stu on September 20, 2013, 08:21:06 PM
-
Hi folks just got my frame back from PC just wondering if the gurus on here had any tips on what can be done to make it easier for the engine
to go back into the frame I'm on my own all my mates are either on hols or offshore !!!
I'm a bit impatient and really want to crack on with the rebuild !!!!
Cheers
-
Hi Stu,
Good for 400F, but unsure of the '750...
I too was in your predicament, and via utube found a "20 second / one man technique"! Bottom line, I had the engine on a load of old sheets, on its side (right side diwn) and then simply picked up / lowered the frame down onto it. Easy, no stress, or scratching of finishes. Then slotted in the aft retaining bolt, and rolled it all vertically. The hard yards all done, with the build starting from here.
But, as I say, unsure whether suitable for a '750...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9vsNdT-6nB8
-
Cheers mate interesting video that !!
I'm just thinking if it would go in easier with the sump removed ??
It's a fair weight the engine I might have a look at doing it like in the video if not I'll just have to wait impatiently til I get help !!!
Cheers
-
Yea, certainly for the '400 the sump, oil filter & breather cover have to be removed. And yup, your 750 frame will be heavier, though all you won't need a helper with too many muscles. Good luck.
-
Hello Stu, yes you'd normally need to take the sump off to give the best clearance.
The engine is put in generator first so you would have to sit it on the points side to pass the frame over it.
To protect the frame rails (both bottom and front) it's worth wrapping thing newspaper around them and tape with masking tape so that you can just tear it off after the bolts are in, just wrap the tape only onto the paper and it's easy to get off without having anything stuck onto the frame finish.
You can make up a block of wood to support the barrel/head area and use a ratchet strap to hold it in place to help stabilize the engine and sitting the whole lot on a thick piece of polystyrene prevents any damage.
Quite a few people do them like this so you should be ok, it is quite tight but at just the right orientation (think it's front engine mounts rotated to be above frame mounts) it juuuuust clears all round.
Nigel.