Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Lynx on October 03, 2013, 12:10:18 PM
-
I see 16011-329-004P is half the price of a genuine Honda float valve kit but I remember the 400 Rebuild site on BTInternet saying avoid pattern carb parts as they are more trouble than they are worth. I know these fit most SOHC models but I had to still the question somewhere.
As the genuine kits are SO expensive, I am very tempted by these. Do they work well? I'm suffering a bit of leakage at the moment :-\.
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_540/
Cheers
Steve
-
I get that sometimes.... it's an age thing. ;D
The float valves that Keyster do are not very good we find.... I polished up the old ones eventually and they are 99% ok with no fuel puddles , maybe the odd drip.
I'd like to know if these DSS ones are better... the pins look a bit thicker to me?
The tip and seat are what matters I imagine ... accurately machined and the right material.
-
I used pattern parts on my 500 and always had a slight overflow every so often, seems to be a common problem.
-
I've used Keyster carb overhaul kits on my both my 750K2 & 400F carbs. The K2 overflowed terribly prior to the rebuild unless used regularly.... and is now 100% good all of the time. The 400F carbs now overflow regularly at Tap On, but with any vibration seal immediately - ie I take it outdoors to turn on the fuel / start it. A mixed bag with Keyster then, but I do feel if used often there'd be no issues whatsoever. As mentioned, OEM must be the way to go... but with 8 carbs & those prices....!!!
OddJob, you're possibly right with 'old carbs' ... but then a big gamble with used parts; those old carbs you're buying might be Keyster! I've had too many times now I've got stuff from a parts dealer only to be bloody let down @ their condition, repackage them, send 'em back (at my expense). A waste of my time, and realisation that some folks idea of 'good condition' is nothing like mine... I now prefer the less hassle pattern / OEM route where financially acceptable... acknowledging tho' that it invariably costs more in dosh, but less in grief.
Horses for courses I guess...
-
cost is a factor, but the original ones leaked anyway. I too don't remember leaks back in the 70s so try to use genuine parts where possible
-
Hmm, point is Ken, if you bought an ebay set of carbs off me they WOULD be with Keyster parts... because my carbs have been reconditioned.... on the cheap. (and yes, these carbs pre-date the 80's too)
And never mind Keyster, some oaf might have cleaned the jets with a bit of wire, or re-jetted them with diff size; .... there are horror stories out there of carb internals held together with wire / JB Weld etc etc. Tall order to assume any 40 year old ebay bits you buy are original / untouched, I simply stated my preference is to buy known / OEM or pattern parts where affordable - because, as mentioned, I'm learning my definition of 'mint / good' does not equal others.
Tis a gamble...
Mick... I don't remember leaks back in the 70's either, but then my bikes never stood still for < a few hours! And agree, OEM wherever poss.
-
Aye, I guess Ken Lynx wouldn't be asking the question if he had an old shed full of pukka bits. Because he hasn't he needs to ask the question / source the parts! (lucky you btw!)
.... after a bit of further thought I need to be fair to 'Keyster' as my carb leaks (both the '750 & 400F) have been fuel pouring out the overflows rather than any odd & prolonged drip. This implies its never been a (Keyster) valve tip / seat problem, but rather a sticking float. Now whether the float sticking is my not polishing the pins etc sufficiently... or too much stiction in the Keyster float valve itself... I can't say. (though I wish I had paid a little more attention to polishing the pins!)
Clem...I bought both carb o'haul kits from DSS (this year) - and they are Keyster, and so a little confused at your "DSS OR Keyster" comments?
Also, and again in fairness, DSS are on the whole VERY good, (ok, expensive too), and I would have thought DS would not knowingly tolerate poor quality stuff... certainly I'm not moaning about my carb rebuilds... happy.
PS Confused at how / why DSS charge VAT on even reconditioned parts.... surely duties have been paid at original purchase and as such need not be paid again?
-
The coutry seems to be full of people charging VAT on things they shouldn't be >:(.
-
As a VAT registered business, DSS is legally required to act as an unpaid tax collector for the government (and if he gets it wrong or forgets, he gets fined...)
He is providing VATable supplies so has to charge VAT (even on the shipping)
If he was selling fresh food or stamps or train tickets (etc), he wouldn't be charging the extra 20%
Steve
(Small business owner and unpaid tax collector for the government)
-
Lobo said
" Clem...I bought both carb o'haul kits from DSS (this year) - and they are Keyster, and so a little confused at your "DSS OR Keyster" comments? "
DSS list a float valve assy but I don't know if these are Keyster made or not.
The overhail kits are Keyster.
Trying to find out if the valve is from another source?.... might ring DSS to find out.
-
My bike was bought as a basket case (pic included just for interest). I have no idea if the float valves fitted are genuine or pattern but they just weep a bit all the time. I have a spare set of carbs I can try, but again no idea of the history. It seems a set of genuine parts will be £80 but I don't really want yo spend that much. I've already spent £1000 more than anticipated (usual story I guess) :o.