Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Sharpy on October 31, 2013, 02:52:08 PM

Title: Am I able to change the mileage...
Post by: Sharpy on October 31, 2013, 02:52:08 PM
Not in a fraudulent way but the clocks I have used to replace the ones that were original show a much higher mileage, the originals were totaled from 30 years in a garage and the replacements are out by about 20k... Now, I have no intention of selling the bike but feel that it should reflect the true mileage and not the miles that show from another bike....

For reference, if I did sell the bike then I would include all the pics from the resto which include the photo of the clocks showing about 700 miles.

Cheers

A not dodgy (honestly)

Sharpy
Title: Re: Am I able to change the mileage...
Post by: PatM on October 31, 2013, 04:48:32 PM
The clocks are best taken to Peter who's a member of Vjmcc in Kent. He does a fabulous job of returning them for about 100 per clock.
If you want to have a go for yourself- the stainless band needs prizing open to allow the backs section of the clock loose. It's doable, but it will leave marks. Someone on her will have Peters email add. I've spoken to him at theGamecock, which is near BrandsHatch and I've seen his work.
Title: Re: Am I able to change the mileage...
Post by: PatM on October 31, 2013, 05:04:21 PM
His name is Peter Horton and Ive got a pdf of how to do it that he kindly gave me- im going to try and upload it to this forum...Sod it- its too big! email me at patrickjmorgan@btinternet.com and Ill send it to you!
Title: Re: Am I able to change the mileage...
Post by: Clem2112 on October 31, 2013, 05:15:05 PM


Yes, take them to a specialist !
A very fiddly and tedious job.... Did speedo and tacho a while ago.

Got tendonitis from re-crimping the bands too !.... Have to say though, there are no marks visible from the top but on the underside the tell tale signs are there.

Wish I had re coloured the red line on the face
 while the tacho was apart though !

Title: Re: Am I able to change the mileage...
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on October 31, 2013, 06:57:42 PM
If they are as easy as the 750 its open them up take the litttle circlip off seperate the dials and set them to what you want then close them all together and refit circlip job done.
Fidallly but not rocket science.I have only done this since total rebuild to motor so to monitor the milage since the first start after rebuild.
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Am I able to change the mileage...
Post by: kent400 on October 31, 2013, 07:04:00 PM
Thought I had better stick my head above the parapet. I have the pdf and I've quite happy to email it. Fairly easy to adjust the mileage but as Pat pointed out the speedo has to be dismantled to do it.  I don't really recommend dismantling instruments unless you have some prior experience of this type work.  It's all too easy to loose a tiny clip or cause some other damage. Quite a few instruments have turned up on my door step dismantled where the owner had be unable to get it back together. As for the band, making a decent job of removing and refitting that defeats many. I've made tools to remove and refit those and even on the underside you have to look hard to see it's been removed. You won't see any evidence on the top of course.

Taking the speedo apart will give the opportunity to clean the inside of the glass, clean/relub the mechanism, check the inside of the base for rust and re-zinc it if required.

My email for the pdf if required is: peter@:harptree7.freeserve.co.uk
Title: Re: Am I able to change the mileage...
Post by: Sharpy on November 01, 2013, 08:13:25 AM
Great!  I thought I was going to look like a dodgy second hand dealer asking such a question! 

I will drop an email through and get a copy of the PDF if that's okay?  Not to say i will actually undertake the work!  My job is risk management so I will have ton take a view of the likelihood of a positive outcome before starting anyway!  ;)

Cheers all

Sharpy
Title: Re: Am I able to change the mileage...
Post by: paul G on November 01, 2013, 12:20:26 PM
If you ask Peter he will sell you a set of decals to re do the faces, very easy.
I did mine a while ago, re paint the outer bezels (satin black not gloss) and a bit of luminous red paint for the ends of the dials and they look like new.