Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: peterengland on November 06, 2013, 07:21:18 PM

Title: Paintwork colours
Post by: peterengland on November 06, 2013, 07:21:18 PM
Hi everyone newbie here but have been on US site. I have a CB550K that has been repainted in the Honda blue but the best of all colours to my mind is the parakeet yellow that was on the 400's and I would like to have it repainted that colour though it obviously won't be original but does it matter that much or just have what you like and bugger convention?
 
Thoughts anyone..

Any 550 owners in Norfolk area?
Title: Re: Paintwork colours
Post by: mickwinf on November 06, 2013, 07:44:14 PM
its your bike and its not as if its an ultra rare bike, so go for it!
Title: Re: Paintwork colours
Post by: peterengland on November 06, 2013, 07:58:54 PM
Yeah that's my thinking, sod the purists!
Title: Re: Paintwork colours
Post by: ka-ja on November 06, 2013, 08:06:14 PM
Hi and welcome,
                               I have had varying remarks about my 400/4, the hubs (non-standard to start with) are powder coated bright red, but the way I look at is this, I am not a down to the last correct bolt or sticker fanatic, and it is myself riding it (when finished) and I will not be entering any concours competitions, if any one wants to be different, good on them. It would be boring if everyone looked the same and rode the same bikes, and at least people should see me at a distance!
Title: Re: Paintwork colours
Post by: peterengland on November 06, 2013, 09:06:14 PM
Yeah you are right, let's face it a 37 year old bike is going to have 'other bits' on it anyway as you can't just pop to the dealer and get bits from the shelf.
Title: Re: Paintwork colours
Post by: florence on November 08, 2013, 09:28:58 AM
I would say paint it however you like, it's your bike.  My bike is badly painted with black smoothrite.  I would not want to ride a bike that looked new, I like my bikes to show their age.
Title: Re: Paintwork colours
Post by: peterengland on November 08, 2013, 03:50:13 PM
I know what you mean, but are you going to repaint the bike if it's done badly or just leave it?
I like my bike to be clean and shine the chrome etc but some people dismantle the engine and get all the external bits on a buffer wheel, ok if you are in a show or something I suppose but not for me, also my bike is apparently not made of sugar as it does not dissolve in the rain! (I'm sure some people think they do!)