Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Rjudge on December 02, 2013, 07:10:32 AM

Title: Cb750f smoke from carb
Post by: Rjudge on December 02, 2013, 07:10:32 AM
Morning all
I'm new for to old bikes and need a bit of advice please.
I've recently bought a Cb750f super sport 1980.
New cam chain fitted just before I bought it and the guy I bought it from had the engine running about 9 months ago put his hand on his Hart.
When I got it home I stripped the carbs and did not need much cleaning.
Put fresh fuel in the tank pit fresh oil in her.
She does not start the starter turns here over and then disengages just before she fires.
The odd puf of smoke from the carbs and a bit of smoke from the exhaust.
Does anyone one have any idea's what this could be?
Timing?
Title: Re: Cb750f smoke from carb
Post by: mick on December 02, 2013, 07:53:52 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum, if you haven't already got one get yourself a workshop manual on your bike it will help  :),

it could be a multitude of things stopping your bike running, best thing to do is do a step by step tune up  ;) cheers Mick.
Title: Re: Cb750f smoke from carb
Post by: Rjudge on December 02, 2013, 08:16:07 AM
Hi Mick
You could piont me in the direction were to start from.
I've got:
Fresh fuel
Fresh oil.
Cleaned carbs
Not replaced spark plugs yet.
New starter solenoid.
Title: Re: Cb750f smoke from carb
Post by: Bryanj on December 02, 2013, 06:00:52 PM
1980 should be a DOHC, what exact model have you got?
Title: Re: Cb750f smoke from carb
Post by: Rjudge on December 03, 2013, 06:55:38 AM
Yes it is a DOHC 1980 with 42k on the clock.
Engine has had a new cam chain a few years ago.
I also put fresh plugs in last night.
Still the same. But not much puf from the carbs.
Title: Re: Cb750f smoke from carb
Post by: Bryanj on December 03, 2013, 08:05:52 AM
As i remember those carbs all the internal jetways clog up so looking clean don't cut it mate
Title: Re: Cb750f smoke from carb
Post by: Lynx on December 03, 2013, 12:43:09 PM
I know you've been told it's run since the cam chain was done, but maybe the cam timing is out. Sounds like it if smoke is coming out the carbs :o.
Title: Re: Cb750f smoke from carb
Post by: Rjudge on December 05, 2013, 06:56:33 AM
Thx for that Lynx
I stripped the carbs and stuck them in my ultrasonic cleaner. Use compressed air and got any remaining water out and very fine soft copper wire and made sure all the jets are clear used air again.
Reasembaled and will try it tonight.