Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Trigger on December 14, 2013, 12:17:35 PM
-
Afternoon All, can anyone advise on if a grab rail from a CB500 1976 will fit my CB550F 1976? I am getting conflicting advice on this matter from breakers.
-
Part numbers are different so they are not identical, BUT the chances are it will physicaly fit EXCEPT that the seat may not clear
-
Cheers for the advice. Barlows M/C have a grab rail up on ebay, but they have it listed as CB500 550 4. I will keep searching.
-
Hi Bryanj, I am still a little confused about what you said about the part numbers being different . Could you advise the part number for the CB500 grab rail?. I am questioning this because a CB550F part number is 84100-390-000,and the part number for a CB550K is 84101-390-000. The grab rail is identical, but different numbers.
-
The UK 500/4 never had a grab rail - just a grab handle:
(http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/images/Copy%20of%20Left%20Side%202.jpg)
The 550 did have a grab rail:
(http://peterasaro.org/motor/honda_nice.jpg)
But as Bryan says, the 550 seat was longer and may not open properly if you fit the wrong part. I had a 500/4 in the 70's with a 550K3 seat and tank. I couldn't open the seat without removing one of the hinges!
Steve
-
Cheers for that Steve the pictures clear that one up. Mine is a us model which had a tail light from a CB650 with the indicators mounted to it. I have now got the right tail light bracket but nowhere to mount the indicators.
-
The US 500 had a grab rail with the indicators mounted to it but I don't know about the length so the seat may not open. The 550K3 number you quote is wrong in that the middle number should be 404 and it is totaly different. anything with a 323 middle number was originally used on a 500 four so you can look there, you also need to know that Honda produced K1 and K2 models at the same time for different markets E.G the UK was always a K1 with small clocks but the US had K2 with bigger ones
-
Cheers for clearing that up i have been scratching my head over this one. The part number was obtained from Western Honda.I have had a scout about and the CB500 grab rail has a different angel to the CB550F. Kind regards
-
I have the indicator stems,they are the big ones to take the large american style indicators. Cheers for the offer.
-
It has the same type of indicators as the pictured 550. It is a US import with frame number that matches a CB550F2.
-
Ahh that would explain it, yanks love big indicators, they love big anything I think.
Like the big fugly crash bar on that 550. :o