Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: ShaunJ on December 19, 2013, 10:23:30 PM

Title: Hello - this is my story
Post by: ShaunJ on December 19, 2013, 10:23:30 PM
I would put it down to mid life crisis, apart from the fact I reckon I am past the midway point  ;D

I haven't ridden a bike for over 30 years but decided it was time to revisit my youth. After looking around for a bike that would need some light restoration I finally bought a CB750 K7. The bike has had one owner since new and 24,000 miles on the clock. It hasn't been on the road for 2 years so it need some fettling to bring it up to good condition.

It's early days yet, I have had some bits powder coated and have given other parts a good clean. Got the engine running but cylinder number 3 doesn't want to join the party at the moment. Drained the tank and the carbs and put fresh fuel in there, 4 new plugs waiting for new points and condensers to be delivered. Got a new air filter to fit.

Haynes manual turned up today that should help  :)(http://)

Got some new tank trim from DS but it won't fit. It is asymmetric in section when the original is symmetric. Sent photos to DS and they have offered a refund if they are returned. Looks like I need to hunt down another source for the trim.

The plan is to have it all finished and ready to go for the spring.
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: mickwinf on December 19, 2013, 10:58:09 PM
welcome Shaun, good luck with your rebuild.
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: Bryanj on December 20, 2013, 07:23:06 AM
K7 is an bit of an oddball, I have the dealer workshop manual scanned to cd if you want a copy.

bad running on one cylinder is usualy idle jet or plug cap
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: Trigger on December 20, 2013, 03:16:14 PM
Welcome to the dirty finger club. ::)
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: mick on December 20, 2013, 04:11:51 PM
Hello shaun and welcome to the forum, post some photos of your bike when you get chance  ;) cheers Mick.
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on December 20, 2013, 05:54:52 PM
Fixed the attachments issue, so look here  (http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=4116.0)for options.
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: ShaunJ on December 20, 2013, 08:59:17 PM
I have added a photo into the "gallery". Thanks for all the welcome messages and advice.
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on December 20, 2013, 09:27:40 PM
You can link to a picture in the Gallery too. Like this:

(http://www.sohc.co.uk/gallery/13346_20_12_13_8_53_31.jpeg)

Right-click the image and select "Copy Image Location" then paste between the IMG tags (picture icon at left end of middle row)

Steve
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: ka-ja on January 04, 2014, 09:52:21 AM
Hi,
      Mid life crisis starts with a SOHC-join the "mature" brigade.
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: Green1 on January 04, 2014, 10:25:08 AM
I'm must be going through mine rather early I'm only 28 my bikes  are nearly twice my age.

Mick
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: ka-ja on January 04, 2014, 12:33:02 PM
Hi,
     Wish I was 28 again - knowing what I know now!
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: Trigger on January 04, 2014, 12:42:55 PM
Yep, i wish i was 28 again. I would not of binned all those CX500 parts. At that time Chasbikes moved from Greenwich and they filled 3 skips full of parts. And i turned him down on a scrap deal for them  :'(.
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on January 04, 2014, 06:53:39 PM
DONT WE ALL WHAT A KING PRATT I WAS PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THIS PLEASE THE BLOODY LOOSE IS LOOMING.All joking  a side I wish I was sam tyler and could go back and buy and stash a shit load of stuff and that modern moron hated the time
CHEERS
BITSA
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: ka-ja on January 04, 2014, 07:14:41 PM
Hi Bitsa,
                Try out only managing to get £95 for a Velocette Thruxton Venom in 1968, and even more insulting, the guy still owes me £5 of it. :(
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on January 04, 2014, 07:16:32 PM
Feel for you
Christ
Bitsa
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: MarkCR750 on January 31, 2014, 06:59:56 PM
Hi,
     Wish I was 28 again - knowing what I know now!
I wish I knew now what I knew when I was 28.............that's senility for you!
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: UK Pete on February 01, 2014, 11:12:48 AM
Its great that young guys take an interest in these old bikes,
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: Norniron on February 01, 2014, 03:17:53 PM
I feel like 28 (+12) but my wife recently feels like 28 stone when u start to get jiggy.
Title: Re: Hello - this is my story
Post by: Trigger on February 01, 2014, 03:22:31 PM
You and your Irish Jig ;)