Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: MIKE550/4 on December 24, 2013, 08:41:16 AM
-
not a job I have been looking forward to pd46 carbs
so cleaning the carbs these were packed with grease and full of petrol
I have degreased and had out all the floats before I refit, anything I need to check and double check
float height I have yet to do as I think I have one sticky float
(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/mike070868/PICT0007_zpsb7a77e7e.jpg) (http://s156.photobucket.com/user/mike070868/media/PICT0007_zpsb7a77e7e.jpg.html)
(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/mike070868/PICT0005_zps32a24e18.jpg) (http://s156.photobucket.com/user/mike070868/media/PICT0005_zps32a24e18.jpg.html)
(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/mike070868/PICT0004_zps17fdec6c.jpg) (http://s156.photobucket.com/user/mike070868/media/PICT0004_zps17fdec6c.jpg.html)
(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/mike070868/PICT0003_zpsd0594d30.jpg) (http://s156.photobucket.com/user/mike070868/media/PICT0003_zpsd0594d30.jpg.html)
(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/mike070868/PICT0002_zpsddbbf152.jpg) (http://s156.photobucket.com/user/mike070868/media/PICT0002_zpsddbbf152.jpg.html)
(http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/mike070868/PICT0001_zpsbf7f4558.jpg) (http://s156.photobucket.com/user/mike070868/media/PICT0001_zpsbf7f4558.jpg.html)
-
How do jets get bent? :o
-
no idea, they are all like that
-
those push in slow jets get stuck firmly and looks like someone has bent them trying to remove them. New ones are available from sirrius
-
Polish the float pivot pins with wet and dry paper till shiney and floats move super free, also in the better body pic it looks to me like the spring loaded tip of the float needle is bent which means they need changing too.
the pilot jets deffinately should NOT be bent so they need changing and on the mixture screw there should be a spring, washewr and tiny "O" ring all of which are important.
I have 2 or 3 bits of sets of these carbs but definately no idle screw washers If I can help with any other bits please ask and i will look.
I have used siriussonic in canada and found them very good
-
Looks as you have your hands full Mike. It will be worth it in the end. I am OK on engines and carbs, my week point as always been electrics, which i will tackle in the new year.
-
may have to put carbs on hold jets out of stock till mid march..... let me know in January bryan if you come across any
cheers
-
Mike, do check all the jets on the site as there are a few sizes and I was rushing when i sent you the link
-
Hi Mike, i got a full carb kit from AC-Motoradteile in germany, the whole kit for 4 carbs was about £75.
-
@ bryan sure your right KHS-49A042 out of stock till 29th march
trigger drop us a link will you please
-
jet sizes after cleaning the jets, 42 stamped on slow jet, cant see any number on main jet but would say 90
now this was running on pods ? are these jets for original air filter set up?
also slow jet has a slight bend less than 1mm could these be reused as new one not available till end of march?
thanks all
-
I might be able to sneak out to the shed tomorrow and look at my spare 550k3 carbs and see what it has fitted. I did get some new k3 jets off silvers 10 years ago - not a full set, just 4 jets - think they were slow jets, I was hoping to get the rest as they came available and rebuild mine, but still haven't used them. I could well be wrong about which jets they are and couldn't swear to where I put them. One thng I do recall, I found a lot of my issues with that bike ended up being not the carb jetting but a broken return spring that seemed to operate ok off the bike but once fitted was that bit too weak to close the carbs against the resistance of the cables all the time.
-
cheers Mathew
Sirius list 2 both say will fit k3
http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=1107
42
out of stock till end of march
http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=1109
35
in stock
so what is the difference between the two and any way I can use the no 35 jets ?
-
The number is the size of the jet, bigger the number more fuel, I will look at the manual later and see if it quotes a size standard
-
According to the Honda 550K3 manual supplement:-
Main jet 90
Air jet 130 (don't ask me where this is as I don't know!)
Slow jet 38
Slow air jet 150 (don't know either!)
Jet needle setting 3rd groove E2349F
Float height 14.5mm
Pilot screws 1 1/2 turns out
There are different numbers for the 500K3 which was never officialy imported to either UK or USA but was in Europe
-
Yes those are the correct ones, like i said i sorted out a link in a rush!!!
Those are of course for a standard airbox and exhaust set up
-
ok so doing the screw jets looks I am missing 2 parts, checked and double checked and I cant see them in the carbs, thought it could feel something in no 4 carb but the metal washer came out so taking it rubber washer totally gone , metal washer missing from no 1
so I have carb rebuild kits (4 of course)
so where can I get 1 small washer
also in the carb rebuild kit 5 o rings ? so far I have came across 1 needed
(http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae228/INEEDMOREPICS/jetpartsmissing_zpsf40b0f0a.jpg) (http://s974.photobucket.com/user/INEEDMOREPICS/media/jetpartsmissing_zpsf40b0f0a.jpg.html)
-
couple more questions the pipe coming out from the carb .... are these breather tubes and should there be only one ?
I have a spare pipe and not sure if its meant to have one or two of these
(http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae228/INEEDMOREPICS/PICT0190_zps8e69e640.jpg) (http://s974.photobucket.com/user/INEEDMOREPICS/media/PICT0190_zps8e69e640.jpg.html)
-
Those pipes don't really matter. They just vent to atmosphere. Mine doesn't have any tubes at all.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/LesterPiglet/Betty%20Bloos%20Mum/WP_20140219_007_zps62d0cbe5.jpg) (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/LesterPiglet/media/Betty%20Bloos%20Mum/WP_20140219_007_zps62d0cbe5.jpg.html)
-
Assuming it's the black tube you're looking at, wouldn't that be the fuel delivery hose? If you have an extra hose lying about, it might go to one of the drain pipes that comes out the bottom of the float bowl. Having hoses on those drains is nice, as without it, any overflow fuel --perhaps from a stuck-open float needle-- would end up pooling on top of the engine.
-
hI
I have the 4 drain tubes on bottom carb so there sorted.
I have the one thats attached and was never taken off while cleaning ( breather tube or fuel delivery, carbs were stting on the engine when i started ) and another piece of pipe left over same diameter ?