Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Johnwebley on January 15, 2014, 07:24:08 PM

Title: Rear view Mirrors/cameras on HGV's
Post by: Johnwebley on January 15, 2014, 07:24:08 PM
hi all,

 this happened locally,please read the link,and sign if you agree,

  http://www.rearview.org.uk/
Title: Re: Rear view Mirrors/cameras on HGV's
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on January 15, 2014, 07:45:48 PM
This happened to me, although the "truck" that reversed into me was a Mercedes Sprinter white van.

Full story here (http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/wordpress/?p=526).

Now I will never pull up behind any van/truck without leaving sufficient space to escape.

Steve
Title: Re: Rear view Mirrors/cameras on HGV's
Post by: Bryanj on January 15, 2014, 11:30:57 PM
I don't condone in any way what happened BUT being a truck driver for a living think on this when you stop

IF YOU CAN NOT SEE THE VEHICLE MIRRORS THE DRIVER CAN NOT SEE YOU.


nEXT TIME YOU ARE BEHIND A TRUCK SEE JUST HOW FAR BACK YOU NEED TO BE TO SEE both MIRRORS IF YOU ON THE CENTRE LINE
Title: Re: Rear view Mirrors/cameras on HGV's
Post by: Johnwebley on January 15, 2014, 11:42:22 PM
I don't condone in any way what happened BUT being a truck driver for a living think on this when you stop

IF YOU CAN NOT SEE THE VEHICLE MIRRORS THE DRIVER CAN NOT SEE YOU.


nEXT TIME YOU ARE BEHIND A TRUCK SEE JUST HOW FAR BACK YOU NEED TO BE TO SEE both MIRRORS IF YOU ON THE CENTRE LINE

I agree,but the police calculated almost 50 meters behind the tailgate,

the whole event was unfortunate,but it is a good idea to have maybe a TV camera for the center blindspot,
to replace what would be a central interior mirror in a car.


 have you guys signed the petition ?
Title: Re: Rear view Mirrors/cameras on HGV's
Post by: Waggles on January 23, 2014, 11:39:21 AM
Signed it John, in the meantime will endeavor not to stop behind trucks / vans on the centreline or thereabouts, not something you always think about if I am honest.

I am going to now tell myself I have to look in the truck drivers mirror when I stop to see if he is smiling  ;)
Title: Re: Rear view Mirrors/cameras on HGV's
Post by: Trigger on January 23, 2014, 07:11:53 PM
I was just reading the above and thought, we are bikers, what are bikers doing sitting behind trucks? When i am out i'm riding the white line in over taking mode. I thought that was one of the points in having a bike, we do not have to sit in traffic!
Title: Re: Rear view Mirrors/cameras on HGV's
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on January 24, 2014, 01:24:25 PM
In my case, the spaces between the rows of traffic were too narrow. I just pulled up behind him (we were in the bus lane, which is OK for bikes in Lewisham - what he was doing in the bus lane he never managed to explain).



Title: Re: Rear view Mirrors/cameras on HGV's
Post by: 59viperman on January 24, 2014, 05:19:25 PM
 ;) signed it.
Title: Re: Rear view Mirrors/cameras on HGV's
Post by: Johnwebley on January 24, 2014, 05:41:31 PM


  THIS is not to blame anyone !!!

 its to high-light a safety item,

  that could save a few lives !!

 mostly single track vehicles,

 I hope all users will appreciate that just one error can cause heart ache to many,

 such a simple problem,