Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: ShaunJ on January 22, 2014, 03:37:42 PM

Title: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: ShaunJ on January 22, 2014, 03:37:42 PM
I am slightly confused about the front brake on my K7. I need to change the brake fluid and the bleed nipple, well it doesn't have a nipple just a hole. I am sure you can imagine my disappointment  :(

I ordered up a new one for a K7 from DS but it won't fit, mine appears to have a narrower shaft. Looking in the Haynes manual the calliper looks different I am guessing that the brake design changed at some point unless mine is non-standard.

Have I just got the wrong part or is there something different about the brake? Pictures are of the the new one supplied by DS and the calliper.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: cb750stu on January 22, 2014, 03:48:37 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem the ones I ordered from DS didn't fit so I got them from CMSL instead,

Calipers look the same as mine if the K7 are the same as the F1 ??

I also noticed that the nipple on the rear caliper was a different size as well !!!
Cheers
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: LesterPiglet on January 22, 2014, 04:15:53 PM
Looks to me that nipple has broken off and someone tapped it out for a larger thread.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: ShaunJ on January 22, 2014, 04:31:50 PM
No the replacement is larger than the one I have. There is no sign of any repair ever being done but I guess the bleed nipple can't be original.

I have been checking part numbers both CMSNL and DS say it is 45224579013. That is the part that DS supplied according to the packaging although it is a replica of the oem part. It would cost 27 euros to get a look at the CMSNL part ... for a bleed nipple gulp.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: LesterPiglet on January 22, 2014, 05:21:25 PM
Go to a motor factors with the item in the caliper. A nipple is a nipple.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: mick on January 22, 2014, 10:08:46 PM
Hi Shaun in the first picture were the nipple should be is that what's left of the old nipple or something else? cheers Mick
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: LesterPiglet on January 22, 2014, 10:18:37 PM
Same as the third pic Mick. Looks like a bolt with a small hole in it.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: mick on January 22, 2014, 10:29:42 PM
I was just wondering if it had something like this in it? cheers Mick

(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/mcpuffett/26.jpg) (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/mcpuffett/media/26.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: LesterPiglet on January 22, 2014, 10:58:03 PM
It looks more like the bolt holding your brake line.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: ShaunJ on January 23, 2014, 10:34:49 AM
My brake looks just like Mick's photo but I have a solid brake pipe rather than a flexible. Here are some photos of the existing bleed nipple alongside the replacement so you can see the size difference.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: Waggles on January 23, 2014, 11:07:03 AM
Brake caliper looks identical to my F1 which isn't surprising I guess as they were produced at the same time. Definitely should have a nipple of the same type but I had difficulty finding one initially as I wanted to change it to a stainless one. I ordered one from Wemoto but it didn't fit. I returned it and sent them details of the size and they supplied a suitable one ( not stainless unfortunately ). Can't remember cost but it weren't 27 euros!
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: Bryanj on January 23, 2014, 04:44:59 PM
The one in there is not standard and has been home made. If the thread is the same the one supplied by DS is OK if its been tapped out you need a repair kit like the one in Mikes picture which i imported several of from the USA and have a few left
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: RickyC83 on January 24, 2014, 11:01:17 AM
I got myn from probolt. Just measured diameter and thread pitch

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: ShaunJ on January 25, 2014, 05:39:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. Just to be clear the replacement bleed nipple is too large, it is not that the calliper has ever been taped out. I am going to see if I can source a replacement locally first. I will also query with DS if the pattern replacement the supplied is actually identical to the oem part.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: ShaunJ on January 27, 2014, 05:48:53 PM
Had a prompt reply for DS as follows....

Hello

Sorry to hear that you have a problem with your bleed nipple.

The CB750 K7 nipple is 7mm and all the stock I have checked are 7mm. We have
sold 241 of them this year and as far as I am aware we have had no problems.
The originals we sold 14 again without any problems and I have compared the
parts which show no difference.

The earlier K6 models used a 10mm and the only other sizes are 6mm and 8mm
on various other models.

We can only think that your caliper has been modified or is from a different
model not necessarily Honda as the brake manufactures sold to various
makers.

Do you know of another K7 that you can look at?

Regards
Gerry

So I am baffled as I still believe the caliper is original and un-modified.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: LesterPiglet on January 27, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
Go to a motor factors with the item in the caliper. A nipple is a nipple.
I'm sure something is available.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: Lynx on January 27, 2014, 06:20:23 PM
I got a stainless steel one from Inox £7.
http://www.inoxbolt.co.uk/zen/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=490_650

Check your diameter and thread pitch.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: Bryanj on January 28, 2014, 07:01:54 AM
Well the "Bleed nipple" you removed was definately non standard so the caliper has been modified but as to wether the thread has been tapped out who knows, I suggest you take the nipple you took out to a bolt supplier and find out what nut threads on to it not forgetting to try AF as well as metric. That will give you the thread it is to see what fits.

As to Silvers reply I happen to agree that the 750 has only had two different Bleed Nipples , 7mm and 10mm so if yours is different its either not Honda or Modified.

Was this a US import? They have a habit of adulterating anything to fit!!
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: ogre on January 28, 2014, 04:39:02 PM
if your struggling u can send them both to me and i might be able to alter the one you have bought to the same thread thats on the one u took out if not i will be able to tell u what the thread is 
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: ShaunJ on February 01, 2014, 03:27:06 PM
Thanks for all your help and offers of assistance. It turns out it is a 6mm thread I assume it must have had a helicoil inserted at some time in its history. Decided to buy a stainless one from Inox Fasteners which is now installed. Excellent service delivered it in 24 hours.
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: ogre on February 02, 2014, 08:14:20 PM
glad u got it sorted
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: Trigger on November 26, 2014, 07:18:59 PM
Well the "Bleed nipple" you removed was definately non standard so the caliper has been modified but as to wether the thread has been tapped out who knows, I suggest you take the nipple you took out to a bolt supplier and find out what nut threads on to it not forgetting to try AF as well as metric. That will give you the thread it is to see what fits.

As to Silvers reply I happen to agree that the 750 has only had two different Bleed Nipples , 7mm and 10mm so if yours is different its either not Honda or Modified.

Was this a US import? They have a habit of adulterating anything to fit!!

Can anyone tell me the thread size of the 10mm nipple? The nipple i have removed is a 10mm x 1.25 and 35mm long.
I know that ford transit is M10 x 1mm and 35mm long but, never seen one with a 1.25mm tread. Any ideas???
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: Bryanj on November 27, 2014, 07:25:24 AM
You might find one on a Honda car mate, even the steel pipe fittings are different for Hondas
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: Johnwebley on November 27, 2014, 05:43:08 PM
You might find one on a Honda car mate, even the steel pipe fittings are different for Hondas

 I overhauled a caliper last year and needed a bleed nipple,picked one from a Goodrich spares dealer ,also my local motorcycle
repairer,

about £2.50 ish

fitted great
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: Trigger on November 27, 2014, 06:09:48 PM
You might find one on a Honda car mate, even the steel pipe fittings are different for Hondas

 I overhauled a caliper last year and needed a bleed nipple,picked one from a Goodrich spares dealer ,also my local motorcycle
repairer,

about £2.50 ish

fitted great

Different caliper, different nipple and bike John. This is a nipple that i have never seen before. And i have seen some nipples in my time.
I know what you are thinking John. I can hear your brain ticking from here ;D
Title: Re: Front Brake bleeding
Post by: Johnwebley on November 27, 2014, 06:20:34 PM
You might find one on a Honda car mate, even the steel pipe fittings are different for Hondas

 I overhauled a caliper last year and needed a bleed nipple,picked one from a Goodrich spares dealer ,also my local motorcycle
repairer,

about £2.50 ish

fitted great

Different caliper, different nipple and bike John. This is a nipple that i have never seen before. And i have seen some nipples in my time.
I know what you are thinking John. I can hear your brain ticking from here ;D


 laughs !!!