Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: MikeM on February 02, 2014, 07:43:10 PM

Title: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: MikeM on February 02, 2014, 07:43:10 PM
anyone recommend a good paint ( durable ) for the footrest parts

came across por15 but very expensive, would hammerite be ok ?

If you know better let us know

thanks
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: Trigger on February 02, 2014, 07:58:47 PM
The problem with foot rests is, you paint them and then because it is a moving part. The paint rubs off on the rear pegs. Smoothrite is OK Mike.
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: LesterPiglet on February 02, 2014, 09:00:56 PM
I went with Smoothrite.
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: florence on February 03, 2014, 08:32:21 AM
My whole bike is painted with smoothrite, frame, footrests and petrol tank.  Bike lives outside - very durable.  The paint is prone to stone chips but very easy to touch up.
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: Piki on February 03, 2014, 11:19:15 AM
Hello, sorry for the silly question: hammerite=smoothrite, or is different?
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: Eric Frith on February 03, 2014, 11:27:27 AM
Smoothrite silver is just that (smooth) (Hammerite is crinckle) I use it on small alloy parts etc
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: LesterPiglet on February 03, 2014, 11:34:43 AM
Smoothrite comes in a variety of colours, black being one of them. The first link I came across, shop around.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/hammerite-sb400ml-smooth-finish-400ml-aer-p13378
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: florence on February 03, 2014, 04:09:24 PM
it's magic, virtually no preparation required.
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: totty on February 03, 2014, 04:59:06 PM
I seem to be in the minority but I'm not a hammerite fan. In my experience it chips easily, it can react with itself on touch up (seems ok while still wet or when years old), it softens or worse if fuel is spilt on it, it scuffs and scratches easily, requires special thinners, reacts to some metals and primers.

If you want to paint and forget then POR15 is a better bet.
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: UK Pete on February 03, 2014, 05:08:38 PM
por15 is good goes rockhard, but you should expect wear on any paint on a footrest
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: Trigger on February 03, 2014, 05:16:30 PM
Totty, you are right about Hammerite/Smoothrite. It has changed over the years, not as good as the old stuff. I have always found hammerite is a lot better once it has been baked on in the oven. Por 15 is a lot better, but it is all down to cost. In the states Por 15 is very cheap, whereas here it demands a big dig in the pocket.
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: LesterPiglet on February 03, 2014, 05:34:30 PM
The only time I've needed to use thinners with Smoothrite is cleaning a brush after touchup. I used normal cellulose and it worked fine. I have 0 discolouration after 20 years on the frame and I've poured plenty of solvent over it when cleaning my engine. A bit of T-cut or chrome cleaner cleans it up well.

EDIT. Oh sorry. It would have been 10-12 years ago.
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: totty on February 03, 2014, 07:15:39 PM
It's very different stuff now to what it was 20 years ago.
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: Trigger on February 03, 2014, 07:21:43 PM
I still have a tin on the top shelve that says Finnegans Hammerite. Think that has been on that shelf since 1988.
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: florence on February 05, 2014, 11:45:22 AM
how annoying if it's changed formula.  Perhaps it's been health and safetied?
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: MikeM on February 05, 2014, 12:52:00 PM
in the end i went for wilkos paint plastikote

will post up results tonight and show the difference

they look ok  and paint seems quite tough once its set hard

Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: matthewmosse on February 05, 2014, 01:48:55 PM
Hammerite has I am sure been health and safetied to the point where I have gone off using it. Personally I have taken to using blackfriar red oxide and then satin black, seems to have stuck to my bmw frame better than the hammerite I used of a few other bits and bobs, and is less than half the price from my local stockist. Thinners for either hammerite or the other stuff I use lidl cellulose stuff as it's cheap and cleans the brushes well enough, I've used it to thin smootherite for spraying too. I also have had smootherite react with itself between coats - annoyingly it was when I'd invested in the proper thinner too. The old finnigans hammerite was far better 20years ago, I used up all the odd ends of that in about 6 different coulours on my trailer a few years ago, the oldest paint has stood up better than the newer - all hammerite brand, applied on the same day, just bought across a 20 year timespan.
Title: Re: looking for a hard wearing paint for footrests
Post by: Green1 on February 05, 2014, 08:48:58 PM
I don't use Hammerite anymore I now use Rustoleum much nicer to use if you can put it I an oven even better.I painted the wheels on my dads Triumph Trophy in white Plastikote and it lasted about 5 years I used a chemical etch called ESP first because Iv used it for years and its brilliant.

Mick