Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Piki on February 02, 2014, 09:58:32 PM

Title: CB550 K/F Tensioner
Post by: Piki on February 02, 2014, 09:58:32 PM
Hello All, Is possible change the CB550 f/k camchain tensioner without take off the headengine?? I did a total engine rebuild two years ago but I do not remember how fit it....:(
Title: Re: CB550 K/F Tensioner
Post by: LesterPiglet on February 02, 2014, 10:18:39 PM
The head must be removed but the barrels do not.
Title: Re: CB550 K/F Tensioner
Post by: Trigger on February 02, 2014, 10:24:42 PM
Piki, How many kilometers  have you done in two year's?. If you replaced the cam chain blade when you did a engine rebuild, it should be OK.
Title: Re: CB550 K/F Tensioner
Post by: Piki on February 03, 2014, 12:02:23 AM
Thanks everyone, I installed a new guide and tensioner blade(no more of 1500 km), but the tensioner mechanism  does not work very well(the adjust screw does no turn well)... This afternoon I saw a mechanism on Ebay and was thinking of changing it, but I do not want take off the head engine again, perphas I bet for the adjust mechanism and in the future I change it....
Title: Re: CB550 K/F Tensioner
Post by: Bryanj on February 03, 2014, 07:35:25 AM
DO NOT try turning the screw with any tool ---that is guaranteed to ruin it. The slot is there purely to aid building and NOT to help tension.

Its an automatic system that works very well until ruined by people who do not read the manual properly.

Thay can be repaired if not to bad but have to be removed to do it.
Title: Re: CB550 K/F Tensioner
Post by: deltarider on February 03, 2014, 07:59:35 AM
Quote
... until ruined by people who do not read the manual properly.
Bryan, maybe people have read the wrong manual, knowing the Note in italics in Clymer on p. 26.
Title: Re: CB550 K/F Tensioner
Post by: florence on February 03, 2014, 08:39:14 AM
I have to second what Bryan says.  The tensioner should be left alone, it works very well for many many years.  the screw slot is simply to hold tensioner in correct place during tightening of the lock nut.

If you hear engine rattling it's probably your clutch and is not indicative of a problem.
Title: Re: CB550 K/F Tensioner
Post by: Bryanj on February 03, 2014, 06:30:36 PM
I think Clymer is the only manual i havent got! Got honda dealer, Cycleserve,Haynes, Pittman, Chiltons and all call it an adjustment screw but tell you to set the crank at 15 deg ATDC and undo the nut then do it up.

never used the 15 deg method myself always just put weight on the crank so that it is just about to turn (all slack at rear) then undone and tightened, but then doing them as a job you learnt how to do everything in 2 crank revolutions to save time and earn more!!!