Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: mickwinf on February 09, 2014, 10:53:48 AM

Title: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on February 09, 2014, 10:53:48 AM
What is wrong with me! despite having no time or money and a half rebuilt 500/4 in the garage I have bought another 500 from ebay! It is roadworthy and has an mot but needs painting and chrome items replacing or re-chroming. My plan is to swap the best bits from my other bike and make a decent bike for the summer, and probably sell the half done bike to get some money back. Ebay has a lot to answer to!
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on February 09, 2014, 11:17:04 AM
Which one Mick?

I keep an eye on most of them!
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: JamesH on February 09, 2014, 01:11:42 PM
EBay = Danger :-).....
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on February 09, 2014, 01:21:37 PM
Steve ebay number
321314433170
'café racer' haha
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: UK Pete on February 09, 2014, 04:08:56 PM
It looks ok mick, the funny thing is if you read the add the guy mentions to many projects not enough time etc,
we are all mad and just pass around our project bikes when we have enough of them or realise they might not get finished, i have quite a few that might see ebay this year
pete
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: matthewmosse on February 09, 2014, 04:28:00 PM
ebay is a dangerous place, I've had to sell a few bikes and bits to pay for the new shed I bought off ebay to keep said bikes in.
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: UK Pete on February 09, 2014, 04:49:50 PM
ebay is a dangerous place, I've had to sell a few bikes and bits to pay for the new shed I bought off ebay to keep said bikes in.
(http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s11917.gif) (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on February 09, 2014, 06:18:11 PM
Well I hope its ok when I get it, I have all the bits to improve it, and hope it will quicker to do than my other project which has stalled.
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: florence on February 10, 2014, 12:36:42 PM
looks great
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on February 18, 2014, 09:23:23 PM
Well it arrived today, have no time to look closely but it is pretty bad! The frame is rusted badly at the exhaust/rear footrest mount, both mudguards are horrible non standard things and the exhaust is a cut down Motad. very dirty also so first thing is a big clean up at the weekend and get it running.
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 18, 2014, 09:32:47 PM
Wish you luck
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: Green1 on February 20, 2014, 07:23:50 PM
Pictures can be very deceiving one day I will remember that before I bid.  ::)
Good luck
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: Trigger on February 20, 2014, 07:58:46 PM
Don't worry, i think we have all done it. I know i have, a few times. You win some and you lose some.
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on February 21, 2014, 09:07:42 PM
some pics
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: Trigger on February 21, 2014, 09:10:39 PM
Opp's. Can i take back my last comment. Looks like your be visiting the blasters with that frame.
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on February 23, 2014, 05:55:42 PM
Well spent the afternoon trying to start it, was very difficult but eventually it started on two cyls, after lots more tinkering three, then at last on all four! actually sounds lots better than it looks! Did not get time to clean it but noticed a few dodgy items which I don't think should have passed an MOT, eg bent spokes and worn back brake. ah well at least it goes!
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on March 02, 2014, 05:57:42 PM
Its looking better now, cleaned up the frame and replaced the wheels and rear mudguard and indicators with better ones. Will make a decent bike without spending much money!
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: andy120t on March 02, 2014, 08:18:13 PM
...if the rusty old rear mudguard id destined for the skip - can I have it....or is it beyond redemption..? (I'm not yet sure if my 650 will have one, so just looking for something I can chop around / paint with hammerite as a starting point!)
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: LesterPiglet on March 02, 2014, 09:27:17 PM
I have a rear guard that is fairly good. It's rusted up under where it meets the frame but it's perfectly usable.
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on March 02, 2014, 10:28:26 PM
The old guard was a horrible bodged up non standard thing, if its any use you are welcome to it!
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on March 13, 2014, 10:59:38 PM
After a bit more work it is looking quite good as long as you don't look too closely! Put my spare motad on and it starts and idles quite well, I have only set timing and plugs, no carb work yet!
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: Trigger on March 13, 2014, 11:19:47 PM
Not a bad looking bike. Only a bit of cosmetics then.
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: andy120t on March 19, 2014, 10:33:50 AM
Mickwinf, Lesterpiglet - have pm'd you both regarding mudguards!
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on March 19, 2014, 08:45:54 PM
Andy are you sure about this!
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: andy120t on March 26, 2014, 02:37:47 PM
..thanks Mick - now it's arrived in my garage I think it looks quite good (which says a lot about the state of most of my spares!).

As well as the CB650 which may get a mudguard of sorts I also have an old Triumph in street-scrambler styling. I've been wanting to shorten the mudguard but it's too good to cut & I know I'll regret doing so one day....so this one may well find it's way onto that; or as a mould for a fibreglass version.
Thanks!
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: mickwinf on April 05, 2014, 07:09:19 PM
well I sold this on ebay for £1500 which will stave off bankruptcy for a while so I might be able to continue my other restoration project, started to strip the engine to check it and paint it. Hope I get to finish it!
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: JamesH on April 05, 2014, 07:27:38 PM
Well done mate...
Title: Re: oh hell i've done it again!
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on April 05, 2014, 07:40:58 PM
Nice one Mick
Still sailing along then now?
Cheers
Bitsa