Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: philward on February 11, 2014, 09:28:13 PM

Title: cb750 head gasket
Post by: philward on February 11, 2014, 09:28:13 PM
Hi Guys
Completed rebuild of engine last week and fitted into frame.  As per a previous enquiry, I fitted some high performance valve springs (from a spare American import engine) that included shims which I didn't fit because thought there was enough extra spring strength.  Anyway, got paranoid and couldn't remember whether I'd fitted the aftermarket spring seat (or whether the unfitted shims where actually used as the seat) and had to re-strip top end to check and for my piece of mind. Turns out that I had fitted the valve spring seats and it was a waste of a night - but now have piece of mind!
Question is - whats your thoughts on re-using the head gasket which has compressed from 1.35 to 1.15 mm.  Obviously not run engine.  As its a new big bore kit, I'll have to get new gasket from Japan (cruzimage) which will take few weeks.
What do you think?
Phil
Title: Re: cb750 head gasket
Post by: Trigger on February 11, 2014, 09:56:24 PM
Phil, it is no problem seeing the engine as not been run.
Title: Re: cb750 head gasket
Post by: philward on February 11, 2014, 10:01:58 PM
Thanks Trigger - any change to torque figures on refitting? I torqued them up to figures recommended in genuine Honda workshop manual but when I took head of again, they didn't seem that tight compared to when I torqued them up on rebuild or on original strip down?
 
Title: Re: cb750 head gasket
Post by: Trigger on February 11, 2014, 10:18:13 PM
No change on torque settings. I always let an engine stand a couple of days and then re-toque again in sequence. When i was building CX500 engines, i would bench test them and after they cooled i would re-toque. But they were water cooled, and that was just my peace of mind.
Title: Re: cb750 head gasket
Post by: philward on February 11, 2014, 10:31:19 PM
Thanks trigger - will get engine rebuilt tomorrow