Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: kmn on February 12, 2014, 08:49:57 AM

Title: IOM Newby
Post by: kmn on February 12, 2014, 08:49:57 AM
Hi there - at the moment I'm stripping down 400lbs of rust that once was a 1973 CB500K... Now that I've rid myself of the shame and tears of letting her get into this state we're getting to see what we actually have (left).

Come hell or high water she'll be back for TT time (MGP at the latest)!

Cheers

Kev
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: mickwinf on February 12, 2014, 09:07:04 AM
Hi Kev and welcome, at least you are doing the right thing now and rebuilding your 500 to its former glory!
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: ka-ja on February 12, 2014, 09:26:17 AM
Hi Kev,
             Welcome to the group,I too hung my head in same over my bike, but at least now the rust has gone and the paint is good, I started two years ago with the promise of ready for the local bike night, maybe this year!----Ken
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: matthewmosse on February 12, 2014, 12:51:29 PM
I've a similar bike awaiting my attentions, bike was my daily transport until 200,000 miles or so of sidecar use put it past mot without a lot of work, house renovation and kids have got in the way, I dread what will need doing to get it back, but as I'm not a resorer and do have spares stockpiled I'm optomistic - everthing is saveable given time to wait on parts coming up and a bit of work - I've previously re fabricated the whole rear end of my 500 due to rust so don't get too stressed about a bit of rust, you can rebuild.
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: MarkCR750 on February 12, 2014, 05:26:48 PM
Hi there - at the moment I'm stripping down 400lbs of rust that once was a 1973 CB500K... Now that I've rid myself of the shame and tears of letting her get into this state we're getting to see what we actually have (left).

Come hell or high water she'll be back for TT time (MGP at the latest)!

Cheers

Kev
Welcome Kev, no finer place to be a biker!, I'm trying to get my CR750 replica ready to ride to the TT .............. Classic TT at the latest! :).
btw I just got let down re TT accommodation for the 5th June 2014, I'm sorted for all the other nights, if you know anyone that has a home stay for the 5th only please let me know, I've tried the homestay website but everyone seems fully booked, so it's looking like a night under canvass at present and as we all know camping is for boy scouts and idiots!.
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: UK Pete on February 12, 2014, 08:25:48 PM
Hi Kev and welcome
pete
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: andy_c101 on February 12, 2014, 09:51:05 PM
Hi Kev
good luck with your 500K project.
Just for inspiration, (later model I know) ....
-my 550K3 parked up at the Niarbyl Cafe, on the west coast, during the practice week of the Classic TT 2013.

Andy C
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: 59viperman on February 13, 2014, 05:43:47 PM
 :) welcome, my 400 should be ready in a couple of weeks. will be on the island in july and back for the manx, oh and I always CAMP AT THE TT AND MANX CR750,   dib dib. :-[
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: MarkCR750 on February 13, 2014, 06:19:42 PM
:) welcome, my 400 should be ready in a couple of weeks. will be on the island in july and back for the manx, oh and I always CAMP AT THE TT AND MANX CR750,   dib dib. :-[

Phew!, so glad your a boy scout otherwise I'd have been calling you an idiot!  :)
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: mick on February 14, 2014, 07:34:27 AM
Hello Kev and welcome  ;) cheers Mick.
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: Drew400 on February 17, 2014, 04:25:37 PM
Hi Kev, welcome and thanks for sharing the warm feelings of IOM. Drew.
Title: Re: IOM Newby
Post by: kmn on February 21, 2014, 09:05:35 AM
Cheers! it don't half go quiet after TT and MGP though!

Frame now stripped and off to be assaulted with grit next week along with other painted bits, 4 universal exhausts will replace rotten 550 silencers which were there before, they do look surprisingly similar (yes but I prefer the look to the 500's - it's just me), tank's off to be repainted, engine to be vapourblasted

Just need the back wheel sorting and the rebuild will commence shortly. Simple.. we'll be done for TT at this rate!

I mean, how hard can it be.....