Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Ecks on February 15, 2014, 10:24:27 AM
-
Well hello there intrepid reader. I'm pondering a stock or superbike handlebar for my 550K3. But first, out of curiosity, I'm wondering if there's a name for handlebar I currently have, seen in the picture below. It doesn't appear to be the stock version, but I guess it's not quite an apehanger either.
(http://i.imgur.com/06H1wGL.jpg)
At any rate, I'd like to swap it for something a bit lower and flatter. It's just the final nudge I need to pony up for new stainless brake lines anyway, and I always felt like the inside grip was in my lap anytime I had to take a slow corner.
Any chance you guys have a superbike bar you're looking to part with? Or perhaps even just a stock 400/500/550 bar?
-
they could be American spec bars, is it an import?
-
Could be US spec bars, though the frame isn't an import (at least that I know of).
-
Personally I did like the us high bars but nearly every bike in the UK was flat bars.DS only now has the flat bars and the riser version you need to shop around germany us etc
Cheers
Bitsa
-
I went from the higher US bars to UK type. They weren't as high / curved / apey! as yours though.
Mine was a US bike, the longer brake hose still works ok - i had to loosen the banjo and change the angle a bit.
Clutch cable needs shortening to be honest as it now has a tighter bend and is a little stiffer.
Throttle cable is fine.
Only pain in the backside was the switch wiring - fortunately the throttle side was already routed out of the bars, but the clutch side was internally routed, so that had to be re-done - you may also need to drill a hole or two in the bars for a location stub on one of the brackets (can't remember which one).
Made a major difference riding my bike - i felt more connected to the front end.
-
I like the current position for around-town cruising, but anything above 50mph and I find myself leaning down such that my elbows are below my hands. All cables will be run externally, so no need to find anything with holes in it.
Does anyone happen to know the width of the stock UK 550/500 handlebar? I'm tempted by this offer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Handlebar-As-Fitted-to-Honda-CB-500-/400666200505?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5d499109b9 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Handlebar-As-Fitted-to-Honda-CB-500-/400666200505?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5d499109b9)
...but I just can't believe that the stock 500 width was 640mm (25.2").
-
My 550 are 29"
-
Good to know, Lester. Better wait until I find the right size. Might just get the DSS version, though the idea of superbike bars grows more tempting every day.