Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: MarkCR750 on February 16, 2014, 02:22:06 PM

Title: CB750 Frame numbers, I'm getting confused!
Post by: MarkCR750 on February 16, 2014, 02:22:06 PM
I just had a look at the frame number on my 1977 K7 (well I thought it was a K7!), it starts 2583, according to a website I found that makes it a K6, the engine number starts CB750E-2473, that also makes it a K6 according to the site I just looked on, it was registered 08/06/1977, have I got a K6?, I am looking for some pattern fork stanchions, that's why I need to know, my stanchions are 583mm long and the centre of the grooves are 65mm from the end of the stanchions, does anyone know if these are k6 or K7 stanchions?, cheers Mark.
Title: Re: CB750 Frame numbers, I'm getting confused!
Post by: JamesH on February 16, 2014, 03:26:34 PM
By the frame / engine numbers thats a k6 for sure. What shape were the tank / side covers that came with it?
Title: Re: CB750 Frame numbers, I'm getting confused!
Post by: MarkCR750 on February 16, 2014, 03:53:39 PM
By the frame / engine numbers thats a k6 for sure. What shape were the tank / side covers that came with it?
This is the tank.
Title: Re: CB750 Frame numbers, I'm getting confused!
Post by: MarkCR750 on February 16, 2014, 03:59:50 PM
And looking at photo's of K6's the oil filler was through the side panel mine was under the side panel, curious, it doesn't matter to me which model it is as I'm only using it as a donor, the difficulty is I now don't know which fork stanchions to get!  :)
Title: Re: CB750 Frame numbers, I'm getting confused!
Post by: MarkCR750 on February 16, 2014, 04:08:07 PM
And these are the carbs, looks like is a Bitsa!, photo's of K6 show round top carbs.
Title: Re: CB750 Frame numbers, I'm getting confused!
Post by: hairygit on February 16, 2014, 04:39:27 PM
I'd have to agree it's a bitsa, those are K7 tank and carbs

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

Title: Re: CB750 Frame numbers, I'm getting confused!
Post by: MarkCR750 on February 16, 2014, 04:50:14 PM
I'll give David Silver's a call tomorrow, they are selling K6 stanchions, I'll ask if they can give me the measurements of their stanchions, they are usually very helpful, failing that I'll just have to get the ones I've got straightened and re-chromed, a lot of messing about though compared to just replacing, thanks all for your help.
Title: Re: CB750 Frame numbers, I'm getting confused!
Post by: JamesH on February 16, 2014, 04:59:15 PM
Mark have you thought about a gl1000 front end for the project? 38mm stanchions and more or less a bolt on conversion. You could also use the did flanged front rim from the gl1000. Just a thought...
Title: Re: CB750 Frame numbers, I'm getting confused!
Post by: JamesH on February 16, 2014, 05:00:42 PM
(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/17/u3y4y2ug.jpg)

Mikeb4 on the us forum used the gl1000 front end for his cr style road bikes...not too shabby.
Title: Re: CB750 Frame numbers, I'm getting confused!
Post by: MarkCR750 on February 16, 2014, 05:09:10 PM
Mark have you thought about a gl1000 front end for the project? 38mm stanchions and more or less a bolt on conversion. You could also use the did flanged front rim from the gl1000. Just a thought...
Yes I had considered it , dynamically it's probably the better option,  but I wanted as much of the original CR750 look as possible (within severe budgetary constraints! :)) so wanted the callipers in front of the forks etc, (that's in no way a criticism of the bike pictured which looks great).