Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Oldiron550 on February 22, 2014, 07:03:35 PM

Title: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: Oldiron550 on February 22, 2014, 07:03:35 PM
Browsing eBay earlier came across this one, CB500/4 1974 for spares or brave repair!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331135574853



Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: mickwinf on February 22, 2014, 07:12:17 PM
That is bad! Even I wouldn't buy that.....
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 22, 2014, 07:15:24 PM
Plus one with Mick thats one rusty bucket.
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: s7paul on February 22, 2014, 08:56:07 PM
Anyone wanting to get that thing anywhere near showroom condition is going to have to spend a great deal more than it will be worth.  By the time they've thrown away everything that is past saving, I suspect there won't be much left!
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: LesterPiglet on February 22, 2014, 09:00:00 PM
That's funny, "only one owner from new".
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: neilb on February 22, 2014, 09:57:23 PM
just needs a bit of elbow grease !
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: florence on February 24, 2014, 09:26:53 AM
Not bad at all cosmetically  ;) but everything mechanical looks ruined.  The engine will be useless.  It makes me smile that the current bid of £260 does not meet the reserve!
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: tom400f on February 24, 2014, 10:07:09 AM
May be I'm reading too much into it, but sometimes I think people get greedy on ebay. What's it worth to the seller? What would they do with it if they kept it? Given its worsening condition, will its value go down or up if they keep it? If it doesn't meet the reserve would they sell anyway?
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: florence on February 24, 2014, 10:34:18 AM
It's quite near to where I live but at that price I won't bother even to look.  £100 would be nearer the mark.
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: mickwinf on February 24, 2014, 04:49:43 PM
Florence I think you would ride that as it is, plenty of wear left in it!
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: matthewmosse on February 24, 2014, 09:02:41 PM
I have bought better bikes for less, but am aware value is anything but static on classics, our landrover was repeatedly turned down at the price we paid before we bought, fast foreward a few years and it would get 5 times what we paid if we'd just bunged it in a shed untouched rather than do up and use it. Personally I will as good as give away bits for bikes I don't intend to use - the old 99p, no reserve auction, moderately high postage to allow a bit for time taken, however with my 500 and 550's the equation changes as I intend to get mine going again and have too often found a part is worth what you might need to pay to replace it. In the sellers estimation they need to think might they regret selling at a given price, broken for parts they'd struggle to get to the reserve without some dedication to re listing bits, but I have seen soome really rough bikes fetch good money and some real gems go for not a lot more in the recent past on ebay.
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: Oldiron550 on February 24, 2014, 09:57:48 PM
Think about this, the winner could become a newbie on SOHC just like me a few months ago, questions could come thick and fast!!

Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: Trigger on February 24, 2014, 10:17:23 PM
I think that if every member put his/her spare parts together we could come up with a lot better bike.
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: florence on February 25, 2014, 09:06:42 AM
Florence I think you would ride that as it is, plenty of wear left in it!
 

I like your thinking.  Cosmetically, it is about the same as mine.  I expect the alarmingly vived orange rust colour would calm down a lot with the application of some grease!

I'm just giving mine a make-over at the moment, it's getting new, yes you read it right, new chain and sprockets, new brake shoes, new tyre.  I just hope it still runs after it's twelve month rest.
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: florence on February 28, 2014, 08:20:17 AM
getting silly now, just gone up to £425!
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: Trigger on February 28, 2014, 09:03:58 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331138100024?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here is another dreamer, or may be not.
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: LesterPiglet on February 28, 2014, 10:41:12 AM
You will get some anal plank buying that for £2k.     ;D ;D
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: Lynx on March 02, 2014, 04:01:41 PM
I see it fetched £511! Anyone on here going to admit to it? 8)
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: JamesH on March 02, 2014, 04:26:57 PM
Mick? :-)
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: mickwinf on March 02, 2014, 05:39:56 PM
haha not me!
Title: Re: ONE FOR THE BRAVE ON EBAY,
Post by: florence on March 03, 2014, 09:43:32 AM
£511; they could have bought a working one for that price!