Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: peterengland on February 25, 2014, 04:18:45 PM
-
There seems so much conflicting information on pressures, I am running 26 front and 26 rear as per my manual. Have not really looked at the tyres before only that they have plenty of tread depth and sidewalls are in good nick. I have 100/90 - 19 on front and 3.50S18- 56S on the rear, is this ok? The bike handles well and I have no discernible problem. Bike is 76 550 K3.
-
I read a good thread on the US sight about tyre pressures.
"Start at your base setting on cold tyres (tyres are considered cold when they haven't been ridden on for at least an hour and have been in the shade). Now ride for about 25km, check your pressures again, if it has risen by 2psi leave it, if it has risen by more than 2psi then add 2psi of air to your cold setting and try again. If it has risen by less than 2psi then lower your tyre pressure by 2psi and try it again. When adding or removing air from the tyre always do it when the tyre is cold, it will be more accurate this way".
-
You are right and I have read this thread but on some others people are putting 35 in the front and 40 in the rear depending on the manufacturer!(without pillion) if I have a pillion I will put the 'handbook' 38 in the rear.
-
The handbook is 40 years old, doesn't apply to modern tyre technology/materials.
-
true, but what should the pressures be?
-
As my previous post. Just start at 30 or so and adjust from there. Mine are between 28-32. I can't remember offhand but I did do the trial and adjust process.
-
I recently used Avon roadrunners,90/90 x 19 F,and 100/90 x 18 R
now using Dunlops 3.25 x 19 F,and 4.00 x 18 R
in both cases the reccomend 29 psi front,and 36 psi rear,this is on a CB500-4
the handling is great !!!