Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Stuartbellwood on March 10, 2014, 10:05:20 PM

Title: Centre stand hitting chain problem?????
Post by: Stuartbellwood on March 10, 2014, 10:05:20 PM
Hi all,

I'm in the process of refurbing/customising a 1976 CB550f and have never ridden the bike but during works I have realised that the centre stand whilst n the up position hits the chain, this has clearly been happening for a while as its worn a groove into the stand.

My question is - what does it normally stop on to ensure this doesn't happen?

There doesn't appear to be a "stop"

Many thanks Stuart
Title: Re: Centre stand hitting chain problem?????
Post by: matthewmosse on March 10, 2014, 10:18:06 PM
There should be a stop  into the exhaust, but it isn't always there, I have a stand that is near cut in half by the chain. A bit of angle iron with a hole in it sorted mine.
Title: Re: Centre stand hitting chain problem?????
Post by: Trigger on March 10, 2014, 10:23:39 PM
It will depend on what type of exhaust you have fitted. The stand doesn't come up to hit the chain. It should hit the exhaust first. The marks on the stand maybe down to the previous owner having a very slack chain. 
Title: Re: Centre stand hitting chain problem?????
Post by: florence on March 11, 2014, 08:36:42 AM
The exhaust holds the stand away from the chain.  I don't have the standard exhaust so I made a stop from a piece of metal with a rubber foot on the end.  I attached this to the exhaust bracket mounting behind the rear footrest.
Title: Re: Centre stand hitting chain problem?????
Post by: peterengland on March 11, 2014, 02:30:57 PM
I have a small metal plate bolted to the pinch bolt on the centre stand mount and this stops the stand getting near the chain.