Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: LesterPiglet on March 15, 2014, 06:04:04 PM
-
As an addendum to this thread http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=6299.0 I've found out the problem was not the points at all but the HT leads.
The heatshrink had broken down on the inner two cylinders and was causing intermittent sparking. I hadn't discovered this because I was troubleshooting in the dark with the use of a 200w halogen lamp. Daylight came and the bike was in the shade and I noticed the arcing. All sorted now thank goodness.
-
Glad its sorted mate
-
Thanks. It feels good to overtake scooters now. ;D
-
So that was a pointless problem then Les :) :) :) :)
-
glad its sorted,
I wish the HT leads could be renewed as a complete length ,instead of joining,
they are getting on for 40yrs old,and starting to break down,
any suggestions ?
-
Yeah it's a bit of a pain John. Not ideal, but guess you're aware of the ngk splicers? http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/performance/splicers.asp?mode=nml
-
Yeah it's a bit of a pain John. Not ideal, but guess you're aware of the ngk splicers? http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/performance/splicers.asp?mode=nml
thanks,
but I would prefer to fit into the coils,not just join to old cable,
I have done joins using thin woodscrews and sleeving,its working so far !!
-
In my experience you've got very little chance of successfully opening the 'moulded' body of the coil and successfully re-sealing it afterwards. Also, it's normally the 'cut end' of the ht lead that starts to degrade - I've found that when you cut and splice close to the body of the coil the original ht lead is 99% of the time in excellent condition. The ngk splices are excellent quality. Just my view, James.
-
My homemade splices are still fine after 30 odd years. There is no movement of the leads up near the coils so I'm not expecting any problems.
I used silicone leads that are very flexible.
-
My homemade splices are still fine after 30 odd years. There is no movement of the leads up near the coils so I'm not expecting any problems.
I used silicone leads that are very flexible.
yep fair point...
-
this is how I did it,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvqJGNmIIeE