Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => Other Bikes => Topic started by: kettle738 on March 20, 2014, 07:56:28 PM

Title: Fitting an ON/OFF light switch to a US import.
Post by: kettle738 on March 20, 2014, 07:56:28 PM

So...it's a SOHC Honda..of sorts, it's a GL1000 and although it's from the land of the free, it seems they're not even free to turn the headlight off.

Starting a bike with the headlamp burning is not great at the best of times, so I would like to fit an ON/OFF switch.  Honda make a neat little switch for the CB750K2 and earlier I think which clamps to the handlebar as a stand alone switch.....ideal.

The problem is, where on earth do I interrupt the circuit to turn off all the lights.....can it be done?  The headlamp, tail lamp etc are independently fused, not sure about the instrument lights......if I were to cut into the power feed it looks as if I would be turning half the bike off.

Has anyone done this on any US import....who could perhaps give me a pointer in the right direction please.

Mick............kettle738

       
Title: Re: Fitting an ON/OFF light switch to a US import.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 20, 2014, 10:01:57 PM
Another bike Eh Mick  :)
 How about a three pole relay to switch each light and not compromise  fusing. Coil would be switched to enable lights.Or you could do it with 'High Side Driver' MOSFETs. Probably got something I could let you have but how quickly do you want them? The cold resistance of the headlamp bulb would create a high current inrush so solid state would have to be quite beefy. Depends on other devices on the lighting circuit  though, would have to see the circuit. Do have a US circuit diagram?

Cheers ... AshD
Title: Re: Fitting an ON/OFF light switch to a US import.
Post by: Lobo on March 20, 2014, 11:23:52 PM
Mick,

Damned sure I've seen (the Honda) wiring diagrams for various modified models showing a 3 pole starter switch which cuts the power to the lighting circuit when pressed... ie to aid cranking. Would make a lot of sense & perhaps save you a lot of effort / keep your bike original.

Sorry - been looking through my manuals... but (as yet) can't find that start circuit diagram. Brian  OddJob, Ash...am I bloody imagining this?!!

A quick look / or check with a multimeter will confirm the thinking anyways.
Simon
Title: Re: Fitting an ON/OFF light switch to a US import.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 21, 2014, 05:34:25 AM
Depends what Mick needs. If he wants to retain lights on but disabled during starter motor cranking then the three pole relay could be used by having  each + ve light feed to respective lamp connected in series with a  N/C contact of the relay and have the relay pull-in when the starter solenoid is energized (i.e have the relay coil connected in parallel with the starter solenoid coil). This could also be done solid state but I would have to work out the circuit. Also making ita neat job without butchering a perfectly good loom also needs care.

I bet the Goldwing guys have already done something but not really familiar with those guys, the Goldwing  or forums. I did meet a guy on their stand at Stafford a few years ago who was the chairman of the UK club, I think  and he was from Cottingham, over the field from me.

Know you Mick, I bet the example you have got will be a nice example! ;D

Cheers! ...... AshD
Title: Re: Fitting an ON/OFF light switch to a US import.
Post by: Bryanj on March 21, 2014, 07:04:00 AM
Just done to a mates 1200 trike.

The fuse box is uder the tray on top of the carbs if its the same and i took an extra wire from the sidelight fuse to a switch and back to power a relay then used the main contacts of the relay to power the headlamp.

PM me and i will do a wiring diagram for you

OR fit the RH switch from a UK model that has the lights on/off bit, if i can find my parts book i will give you the number

Part number 35150-371-601
has been superceded by
Part number 35150-371-P10
Title: Re: Fitting an ON/OFF light switch to a US import.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on March 21, 2014, 08:40:10 AM
Just done to a mates 1200 trike.

The fuse box is uder the tray on top of the carbs if its the same and i took an extra wire from the sidelight fuse to a switch and back to power a relay then used the main contacts of the relay to power the headlamp.

PM me and i will do a wiring diagram for you

OR fit the RH switch from a UK model that has the lights on/off bit, if i can find my parts book i will give you the number

Part number 35150-371-601
has been superceded by
Part number 35150-371-P10

Thought someone must have done it already.  Any pics to share Mick?

Cheers.... AshD
Title: Re: Fitting an ON/OFF light switch to a US import.
Post by: kettle738 on March 21, 2014, 09:21:12 PM
Hi all, many thanks for the suggestions and comments, much appreciated.  As it happens I've been surfing the problem and sort of found this site by accident.

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html

sadly when it comes to electrics I can understand the basics easily enough but I'm an unimaginative tw4t so I need clear and unambiguous instructions, preferably with pictures.......how dull is that?

The diagram entitled 'START SWITCH SAFEGUARD' here looks perfect for my purposes I'm pretty sure I can fit this nicely hidden and in such a way that nothing is irretrievably altered and can be returned to standard simply by unplugging it.

Hopefully it might help another 'low voltage' dullard. in the same position.

Best..................Mick.