Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Drew400 on April 06, 2014, 05:05:04 PM

Title: Strange aberation?
Post by: Drew400 on April 06, 2014, 05:05:04 PM
Hello all,

I think I have discovered a strange fault inside my engine that doesn't appear to have affected performance in the three years I've been riding the bike (and no I didn't do it when dismantling the engine).

What do you think of the little tear in the drum(?) between the drive and timing chains (as shown in the square in the picture)? Any experts out there seen this sort of thing before? I could ignore it and rebuild or tap it back into place, or seek a replacement.

I think this is just further evidence of a hard life... I'm hoping to give this bike a clean and easy long retirement one day!

Ta, D.
Title: Re: Strange aberation?
Post by: matthewmosse on April 06, 2014, 05:28:36 PM
I think I have one where this has happened, still all worked but with plenty of spares I just chose another off the shelf when rebuilding the last engine.
Title: Re: Strange aberation?
Post by: Drew400 on April 06, 2014, 08:03:19 PM
Thanks Matthew. It makes me wonder what causes it and if one replaces with a new one, does it simply immediately break again and remain working fine and undiscovered until the next engine rebuild? Maybe the engine has worked out how to improve itself in use by creating this extra oil way... weird, eh?
Title: Re: Strange aberation?
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on April 06, 2014, 08:22:09 PM
Hi There,
Not seen that afore but like Matthew I would change it.
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Strange aberation?
Post by: Trigger on April 06, 2014, 09:00:56 PM
There can be many damage marks in a engine. You just do not know what the previous owner has been up to. I have seen evidence of broken con rods that have caused marks on the inside of the casing, to a engine i stripped once and found a ear ring in the sump. Some things just can't be explained in my field. I would change it, it is always better to be safe than sorry.