Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: RGP750 on April 09, 2014, 08:03:05 PM
-
Hi all ,not wanting to hijack Steff's KO carb problem, just
noted Seamus has commented Keyster carb parts not good on sohc 's
Having just paid DS £80 for a set and rebuilt the carbs ,if this comment founded,
has anyone else used keyster and had no problems.
concerned of Ashford :-\
-
RGP,
Yep its all true I bought keysters and like I always say pattern is SHIT.HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS.Sourced what genuine bits I could get reused what I had and guess what?Runs like a dream.Try and stay away from keyster even the crowd across the pond slag them off.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I too learnt the hard way
Cheers
Bitsa
-
Deep joy, Thought with him selling it it would be ok,.Looks like another wad wasted then.
Suppose i'll give them a call and see what they have to say.
Recon i'll put the original parts back then. :(
-
RGP,
Already done that and I got well we have had no complaints so far.Number one the slide will not bottom out unless the needle is set at max height.Jets are jets,the air screws look like nothing to the originals.It has something to do with the taper of the needles not the same, shame it only seems to be the 750 kits I have heard
Cheers
Bitsa
-
I'll strip one down again and do some comparisons,and dimensional checks.
Good job i didn't bin the originals.
-
I'm in the midst of rebuilding my CB550 carbs, I got a set of Keyster's from DS ages ago, crap!!
Should I clean the originals a sticking them back in?
-
Try them out first,i never had any problems with any keyster kit i have used.
-
as Bitsa says it only seems to be the 750 sets.
no replies with success with these yet on 750s,
interesting to see if any come.
-
Bought a complete kit from 'keyster' in 2009 and had problems, no matter where I set the clip's on the needle jet's, the bike would start, but no power/steam running from exhaust vents (too lean)
The K4 requires a 105 needle/main jet's which I ordered from DS, set the needle's at the mid point, and its been fine.
I thought the issue could be that 'keyster' have machined the needles to suit the early models 110/120 jet sizes???
Alan
-
Thanks Alan
Mine is a K2 and has a 110 in the kit,good or bad i don't know.
I'll measure the originals with the new ones tonight and get a comparison.
Rich
-
I dont think it has anything to do with the jet size cant remember what its called but its the bit in the centre of the carb that the needle goes up and down in and the needle taper sticks in it.
Cheers
Bitsa
-
I know from memory it's longer than the original.
I'll check needle length/diameter when i get home
and see how it compares with original.
I'll report back later.
Rich
-
checked Keyster against original and find everything i can check within .002".
heights,position etc.
Could there have been an issue that has been resolved?
Do i put the old stuff back in or take a chance and maybe have to take the carbs off
when i finish the rebuild.
Decisions Decisions.
-
Hi Rich,
Possible the problem has been resolved after complaints. If you PM me with your address, I can send you the 'keyster' 4No. needles/jets so that you can make a comparison. From memory the 'keyster' needles where much thick that the Honda needles.
Alan
-
Just built my K2 carbs up with Keyster parts - didn't mic them up but next to each other they looked same length. They are in now so wont know until start up and that's ages off - when Silvers gets some repo exhausts in stock!
Phil
-
Hoping for a press of the starter early May.
barring any more problems.
I'll report back
-
I used Keyster for a complete rebuild of my 750 K2 carbs in 2012 and so far have no complaints. It starts fine, idles smoothly & pulls uniformly through the RPM range. Balancing the carbs etc all straight forward enough. Not really done a great deal of miles, but the plugs look fine so far. (all settings by the book)
For sure would have preferred OEM.... but due the price was prepared to try the gamble. Think it paid off...
-
I know this may sound stupid but recently I have seen lots of carb kits popping up all over the net.Some say made in Japan is that just a sales pitch to make you believe cos there Japanese they must be the dogs.Where and who make the infamous keyster kits.
Saw a set on A French site damm good price so emailed him asking who's make and got back short and simple Japanese.What do you all think on this?
Cheers
Bitsa
-
I bought a set from cruzinimage,an ebay seller from japan and they were fine.cheap too
-
I saw the cheap ones on ebay but looked at feedback and a couple of negatives
as "out of tolerance" so thought i'd go the David silvers route ,3 times the price,
but thought they would be fine.On advice putting original bits back in.this weekend.
Taking barrels for checking tomorrow, hoping to get away with a hone,
Any clues for new rings,other than the obvious. :(
-
Big al sent me his 2009 keyster needles and jets to do a comparison with my
new ones, both have 110 jets but as Bitsa says the issue will be with the needle/sleeve it runs in.
The needles had the wrong taper .015"bigger at the bottom, I'm no carb expert but i guess that's why it would have run lean.
Rich
-
Thanks for the reply Richard, from previous post | would think that 'Keyster' have now rectified the problem.
Alan
-
I'll let you know when i press the button.
I'll put your bits in the post this week.
I was going to put the original bits back in but i want to prove this
one way or another.
Rich