Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: antonypo on April 26, 2014, 08:07:53 AM

Title: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: antonypo on April 26, 2014, 08:07:53 AM
Just been looking at my original set and what a mess. Looks like the chrome, steel cover and rubber mounts are all dinted/ degraded. The dials are also faded.
I know you can get kits to refurb' these to a good standard but d.s.spares are selling a  brand new complete set for not much more than the kits to refurb - so is it worth the hassle?

Also what do you do about the original mileage when I register the bike if I do get new ones?
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: Trigger on April 26, 2014, 08:44:06 AM
There is no rush, take your time. Something always turns up. Are you clocks the same as this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111332637003?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have seen lots of NOS clocks turn up on ebay. But, they are not hard to re-build if they are in good working order.
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: antonypo on April 26, 2014, 09:28:02 AM
With respect that's not what i'm asking.
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: LesterPiglet on April 26, 2014, 10:08:32 AM
I bought a repro speedo from DS and wasn't impressed. The black started coming off around the glass before 1000 miles. The chrome base wasn't as smooth as originals, but it was better than what I had. I've since bashed it so I'm going to put my old one back on.
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: antonypo on April 26, 2014, 10:09:36 AM
I really wasn't trying to be smarmy. I was just making the point that i was asking how i or do i have to prove mileage, is it normal to just replace etc, not to replace.

trigger 6969 - I apologise if i did offend. NO rudeness intended .... as i said with respect.
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 26, 2014, 10:38:12 AM
Kent400 a member here does a superb job on clock restoration and advice.

Cheers....AshD
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on April 26, 2014, 11:28:20 AM
I bought a pair of DS and like Lester not impressed the tacho had a mind of its own and the speedo would not go past 50.Sent them back got another set and they were the same so dumped them.Bought s/h ones and refurbed them dead happy.For your milage thing I kept the original clock but theres no guarantee its right maybe Bryan can add something if its to do with mots.
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: kent400 on April 26, 2014, 12:30:10 PM
I was given a replica speedo, the owner had dropped it and broken the trip counter shaft. I took it apart to see if any of the internals were the same as the original speedo. Looks like the internals are a copy of the Nippon Seiki type gauge rather than the ND type. The dial face is quite thin and the colour is wrong. It's certainly no where near the quality of the original ND ones. It does however come with the mounting dish but that's stainless steel rather than the chrome original. The mounting plate will however fit an original gauge and so will the foam cushion.

New chrome mounting plates are available from DSS and the foam cushions

New faces are available for CB750 faces.com at a very reasonable price, they are very good quality and the correct coulour. Without doubt restoring the originals is the best way to go in my view


Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: antonypo on April 26, 2014, 02:47:08 PM
Comments appreciated jamesh.
It made me look at the paperwork that came with the bike. It has a certificate of title kansas which has the mileage on .Because of this discussion , it gives me both choices as I can prove the mileage if I sell and get new clocks.
And I now know i can do both no problem either way.

Thanks
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: Trigger on April 26, 2014, 04:51:00 PM
I don't mind a bit of rudeness ;D But this doesn't mean we will be taking long windy walks. ;)
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: antonypo on April 26, 2014, 05:06:32 PM
well mine are dinted in the chrome edging, dinted in the steel casings, rubbers perished and the dials are faded. Also may need the internals refilling - what ever that means ( a bit of reading is a dangerous thing) so can you get the cases as well??
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: LesterPiglet on April 26, 2014, 05:30:25 PM
The chrome dishes and the rubbers are available new. I have one new dish if you are interested, I think I have a rubber as well.
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on April 26, 2014, 06:55:46 PM
Trig,
Or taking showers eh(clint eastwood movie)
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on April 26, 2014, 06:59:34 PM
Can help you out with clocks,bowels.rubbers etc over to you but have to say they wont come cheap all been restored.
Cheers
Bitsa
ps Think I have only one in MPH
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: antonypo on April 26, 2014, 07:40:20 PM
anyone can pm me with prices of their items
Title: Re: refurb original tacho and speedo or get shiny new?
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on April 26, 2014, 08:20:32 PM
Antony.
Will post pics tommorrow for you to help make your mind up like I said NOT CHEAP SO MAKE ME A OFFER IF YOU LIKE THEM.
Cheers
Bitsa