Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: FourFour on May 03, 2014, 10:52:44 AM

Title: Cb400 Fuel filler cap. Disassemble?
Post by: FourFour on May 03, 2014, 10:52:44 AM
Hi there,
I have just signed up to the forum for my first, I suspect of many, pieces of advice as I have gotten around to restoring my 1977 400 four.
I have owned it since 1992 at which time I did a reasonable restoration job and rode it on and off for about 8 years. It has since then been sat at the back of various garages slowly gathering dust and corrosion.
Frame, tank and panels etc all now painted and the rebuild process has begun.

Anyway, my first question is ....does anyone know if there is a way to take the fuel filler cap apart for re-chroming?  It's a non-lockable cap.

Cheers

Title: Re: Cb400 Fuel filler cap. Disassemble?
Post by: ka-ja on May 03, 2014, 05:28:57 PM
Hi,
      Welcome to the group, as far as the fuel cap goes, after you have remove it from the tank, with the cap upside down, if you look below the seating area you should see several small blades of metal sticking out into the inside "wall" of the cap, these are part of the inner fastener, that act as spring/grippers, you have to carefully lever them away from the cap a little at a time and work them upwards, the entire unit should come out, but be careful not to strain them.---ken
Title: Re: Cb400 Fuel filler cap. Disassemble?
Post by: FourFour on May 03, 2014, 06:10:59 PM
Brilliant ! It worked. You sir are a star.

........I even managed to do it without sticking the screwdriver through my hand !

Cheers
Title: Re: Cb400 Fuel filler cap. Disassemble?
Post by: ka-ja on May 03, 2014, 07:29:21 PM
Hi,
    Pleased its sorted and remember to fit a new seal before putting it back together,a lot easier!---ken