Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: DayvW on May 11, 2014, 08:17:15 AM

Title: 400-4 valve spring installation - is there a right way up?
Post by: DayvW on May 11, 2014, 08:17:15 AM
At last I'm putting my 400-4 engine back together .. so far so good ... bottom end complete and on to the top ...
I saw mentioned somewhere that valve springs should be installed the right way up.  Is this so - and if so - how can you tell which is top and bottom as they look symmetrical to my untrained eye?
Title: Re: 400-4 valve spring installation - is there a right way up?
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on May 11, 2014, 08:46:29 AM
The tighter coiled end of spring goes to the bottom same with inner spring if I remember right.If I am wrong I am sure the 400/4 guys will put me right
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: 400-4 valve spring installation - is there a right way up?
Post by: DayvW on May 11, 2014, 09:40:17 AM
Thanks Bitsa .. just looked more carefully and indeed there is a tighter coil end that I did miss  :-[.  That also makes sense as on one of the springs it still has collet holding washer thing on the looser end.  Mind you - I have found much wrong from a previous top-end build which further reinforces the message that you cant rely on previous work actually being done right! Many thanks again.
Title: Re: 400-4 valve spring installation - is there a right way up?
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on May 11, 2014, 03:41:01 PM
Your welcome and right never take any PO for being real unless he is a mate you know well.
Cheers
Bitsa