Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Piki on June 09, 2014, 08:36:15 AM
-
Hello everyone, the last Saturday I born again!!! I was back to home from a Vintage Festival of Cars and Bikes, when my rear tyre(inner tube) exploded in middle of the motorway!!
The tyre and the tube was new, only 60 miles. At the moment I do not know what is the cause, I have to take off the tyre and checking it.............
Anybody knows, any conversion to tyre tubeless for 400 Four(with spokes)? I am afraid!!!! :-[ :-[ :-[
-
There is no known way of running a spoked wheel as tubeless
-
Hi Piki
This happened to me once on my (back in the day) 400F. I was on my way to a football match (Norwich against Crystal Palace) when my rear blew as I was thrashing up the A11 in the Newmarket/Cambridge area. Back end started weaving around so I just rolled off the throttle and kept the bars pointing in the direction I wanted to go. Pulled up on the grass verge.
Problem was it happened to be Easter Monday. Took the wheel out and started walking back to petrol stations I had passed. When walking across a roundabout I saw a friend of mine waiting by the petrol station. He'd passed my bike going the other way and thought he recognised it. Then saw me with wheel. We went into Cambridge and managed to find a place open (using his AA gazetteer). New tube (can't remember if we put the same tyre back on - different times) and I was on my way!
Don't remember being that frightened at the time, but I was going in a straight line...
Cheers
Tom
-
Hopefully the cause will be obvious when you get the tyre off, if you know that you can avoid it reoccurring then it wont play on your mind as much.
I know of 4 tubeless systems with spokes but I haven't heard of any being fitted to a sohc.
Trials bikes run two of them. 1. rims have an inner ridge that the spokes hook through similar to the hub end, with in line adjusters. 2. Rims have an inner seal, like a thicker rim tape but it seals to the rim which is profiled to match it - I'm not keen on these.
BMW's use another, the spokes go through the edge of the rim outside the tyre.
I guess you could try to find a suitably sized rim of any of these styles and lace it to your hubs.
The other one is Neutec Tubeliss, it can be retrofitted but I don't know of any being used in road bikes or if it comes in a suitable size.
-
Wonder what the best inner tube is to buy? There are a lot of cheapo ones around. What did you fit and anyone recommend a decent make? Could just be a puncture of course.
People used to use Finilec back in the day but it always seemed a bit dodgy to me for use on a two wheeler.
Cheers ... Ash
-
Thank you for your answer guys, this afternoon I will take out the rear tyre and checking it. For other hand, anybody knows this product(or similar):
http://www.oko.com/tyre_sealant.html
-
I've used something the same color in the same bottle but with a different name that I can't recall.
It was in a trials bike though, so tubeless at 4 psi and low speed riding. It fixed a leak that was due to a corroded rim.
I don't think it's suitable for tubed tyres, although there site says it is:
WORKS WITH INNER TUBES and TUBELESS TYRES. If tubes are used, check regularly for tyre damage or deflation which may indicate tube punctures that require tube replacement. The success rate of sealing will be greater with tubeless tyres than with tubes.
It says do not use with chrome rims.
-
Sounds like you had a luck escape, this happened to a mates friend, he has been nin hospital for two weeks with serious injuries,
just a thought if it was a new tyre they get inflated near to 80psi to pop the tyre bead in place perhaps the correct pressure was not checked after the tyre was fitted
pete
-
I forget say that I was racing with my 400 Four before in the Jarama circuit, 4 laps only.... :-X
-
I forget say that I was racing with my 400 Four before in the Jarama circuit, 4 laps only.... :-X
lucky you at Jarama,
hoped you enjoyed,
more good luck you are OK after the deflation.!!!
-
Wonder what the best inner tube is to buy? There are a lot of cheapo ones around. What did you fit and anyone recommend a decent make?
Cheers ... Ash
I spoke to a few people before I replaced mine and was told a lot of people make the mistake of using heavy duty tubes and they tend to over heat.They are only really supposed to be used on trails and dirt bikes.I was told the best tubes for road bikes are the thinner cheap tubes as they stay cooler and always change the rim tapes.I have fitted V Rubber tubes as my dad has always bought them and never had a problem.
Mick
-
Sorry, lads any sealant in a inner tube or tyre will and does unbalance it.
-
The intrustions for these sealers usually says that you have to insert, inflate and then rotate (drive the vehicle) straight away to distribute the goo-stuff around the wheel that should find the hole and also make sure it's stuck all round the tyre to avoid balance problems.
However, if you look inside any tyre that's been run deflated ( even getting the vehicle to a stop from any speed) the tyre is full of rubber "crumbs" from abrasion which I think gives it a fat chance of the sealant working or sticking to much of the tyre at all.
I've never actually witnessed it working properly in a tube and if you managed to stay on top of it during a deflation would you be willing to get back on with some hope of if it will work?
The best scenario for these sticky fixers is if your tubeless tyre goes down while it's stationary, and then only to get you to somewhere in an emergency, to get it fixed.
-
A reputable tyre fitter will not even attempt a permanent repair on a tubeless tyre (bike or car) if you have tried using tyre weld or similar sealants, not worth the risk, bite the bullet and have any puncture repaired properly!
Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2
-
Always used to make me smile when people carried levers and patches but no way of re-inflating the tyre