Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: DayvW on July 12, 2014, 07:26:52 AM

Title: How to repair a small tear in the seat cover
Post by: DayvW on July 12, 2014, 07:26:52 AM
I wonder if anyone has any tips for repairing a small gash in my (400-4) seat cover.  The seat is original and I'd like to keep it if possible (I have replaced the strap and buttons as they were quite corroded).  Any hints and tips gratefully received.  Many thanks.
Title: Re: How to repair a small tear in the seat cover
Post by: Trigger on July 12, 2014, 10:12:14 AM
The small tear will only get bigger. Put a new cover on, Dis-covers should do a replacement cover.
Title: Re: How to repair a small tear in the seat cover
Post by: mickwinf on July 12, 2014, 01:41:11 PM
or try a car smart repairer who does repairs on dashboards and upholstery
Title: Re: How to repair a small tear in the seat cover
Post by: Bodd on July 14, 2014, 04:31:44 PM
These guys (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_osacat=0&_ssn=tight-fit-seats&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=cb400&_sacat=0&_from=R40) do some good covers, I got my RD250 cover off them and it was excellent.
Title: Re: How to repair a small tear in the seat cover
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on July 14, 2014, 04:50:46 PM
I have seen this done (my boss did it with a small tear in his VFR750 seat).

1. Turn the seat over. You should have a small amount of spare material where the cover has been stretched and stapled.
2. Cut off a small piece of the spare material - enough to cover the tear (like a puncture repair)
3. Carefully push the spare material into the tear. Use a matchstick or the blunt end of a plastic spoon.
4. Once the material is between the tear and the foam, superglue around the edges.

This makes a waterproof and almost invisible* repair.

* Disclaimer...   The "invisibleness" of the repair is directly proportional to the amount of care that you use. Do not use too much glue as it will show through the remaining tear (where the edges don't quite meet).

Good luck.

Steve
Title: Re: How to repair a small tear in the seat cover
Post by: UK Pete on July 14, 2014, 08:25:36 PM
I have done as steve mentions above and it is prbably the best way to repair , other than taking off the cover and glueing a patch
pete
Title: Re: How to repair a small tear in the seat cover
Post by: K2-K6 on July 14, 2014, 09:33:31 PM
I don't disagree with the method but I've always understood "superglue" to be non-waterproof which allows such  as jokers and stagnight adventurers to be seperated from their drunken amusements from the night before.

There are vinyl (if that is what the material is) glues that tenting shops usually sell or try brand name "BIson" vinyl/plastic glue to see if it sticks to a sample of seat covering.
Title: Re: How to repair a small tear in the seat cover
Post by: DayvW on July 15, 2014, 07:29:23 AM
Many thanks all.  I'll try steve's suggestion .. But indeed look for vinyl glue.  Didnt think of getting a spare bit from underneath .. The best ideas are the simplest!. If it doesn't work for me ill replace it .. But I like a bit of patina on a bike  :)