Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: theulsterman on July 19, 2014, 02:26:26 PM

Title: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: theulsterman on July 19, 2014, 02:26:26 PM
Hi,starting to build my CR replica, final problem is the modification required for a brake plate, I have good pictures to guide me but have not got the cam levers required to make it authentic looking, I would need the arm which has the spindle for the cam half way up it, rather than the spindle hole at one end, I require a fitment for a connecting rod at one end and a facility for a cable at the other. Any help would be appreciated.
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: MarkCR750 on July 20, 2014, 04:00:16 PM
hello Ulsterman, I decided to stay with the brake rod on mine, just inverted the set up so that it was easy to link to my rearsets, not authentic but works better than a cable and I will be using mine on the road so stopping is important!, (I can always swap to cable later if it bothers me), if you google "lordmoonpie cr750" you will find Simons site, there is not much he doesn't know about CR's and I'm sure he will be able to advise.
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on July 20, 2014, 04:20:53 PM
Simon is a member here "Lordmoonpie" but hasn't been around for at least a couple of years. It's good to know that he's still active.

Maybe you could invite him back as we seem to have grown a thriving CR group recently!

Steve
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: gamma on July 20, 2014, 04:47:20 PM
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/IMG_0224.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/IMG_0224.jpg.html)]

I've done mine slightly different with a GT750 cable
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: gamma on July 20, 2014, 04:48:43 PM
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/IMG_0223.jpg)


Hope it works!
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: MarkCR750 on July 20, 2014, 05:07:41 PM
Nice work Gamma, I like the way you have mounted the cable stop on the swing arm, I bought the same GT750 cable and was going to mount the stop on the brake plate, but yours is a neat solution, if I decide to use the cable I'll probably use the swing arm as you have.
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: JamesH on July 20, 2014, 05:11:03 PM
Agreed, nice work gamma. Polishing on that rear hub / plate looks lovely by the way...
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: gamma on July 20, 2014, 05:31:35 PM
This set up has yet to be tried. Obviously I will have to route the cable better. And there are other problems to overcome, like the kickstart lever (which I have heated and bent) will clear the footpeg but not the brake lever. So I plane to unhook the brake cable for starting!  (yes I got rid of the electric starter)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/DSCF0051.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/DSCF0051.jpg.html)
Also took me ages to polish hubs
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: gamma on July 20, 2014, 05:36:55 PM
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/emeryhub1.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/emeryhub1.jpg.html)

The wire drives the hub, so if my hand got caught it will hopefully stop spinning

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/emeryhub.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/emeryhub.jpg.html)

I used a file in the grooves then emery paper then solvol autosol

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/DSC02503.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/DSC02503.jpg.html)
 ;D

Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: gamma on July 20, 2014, 05:39:46 PM
Also converted front to twin disc

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/DSC02502.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/DSC02502.jpg.html)
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: gamma on July 20, 2014, 05:42:35 PM
And drilled the original discs

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/DSC02448.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/DSC02448.jpg.html)
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: MarkCR750 on July 20, 2014, 06:04:12 PM
Gamma, your work looks nicer than mine........but.......I'm beating you!!!!!!! ;D
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: gamma on July 20, 2014, 06:28:16 PM
Thanks for the comment Mark, but I have had plenty of time here in Saudi to work on bits (not much else to do here ;D)  Then as I finish the parts I have brought them home to Scotland in my luggage, so when I've got all the bits done I will assemble it. When I finished the engine I got it shipped back (that's another story in itself) and I took the frame back as excess baggage disguised as a bicycle turbo trainer.
This is what I started with from a Saudi scrap yard
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/CB750F1s.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/CB750F1s.jpg.html)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/DSC_0005.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/DSC_0005.jpg.html)
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: gamma on July 20, 2014, 06:32:25 PM
Apologies to theulsterman for highjacking his post :-X
Title: Re: CR 750 brake plate
Post by: MarkCR750 on July 20, 2014, 07:39:47 PM
Ha brilliant disguise, and yes sorry Ulsterman!