Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Liam on July 20, 2014, 08:00:42 PM

Title: 1976 CB750F SS disassembly probs with front forks
Post by: Liam on July 20, 2014, 08:00:42 PM
Hi Gents…  Another dopey question so please bear with! 

I'm overhauling the front forks.  I've removed the dust seal and retainer with no trouble.  But removing the 6mm "socket bolt" is a different story, rather than being able to remove it to facilitate removal of the "fork pipe" the bolt just loosened and spins.  This is the same for both fork legs.

I've drained them of oil and removed the spring…  Could this be the issue?  Should I have left springs in until the 6mm allen bolt was removed?

Anyoldhow I'm a bit flummoxed, any help would be much appreciated?

On the other hand…  spent the day grinding bits and bats off the frame, unwanted lugs etc.  That went really well!  So off the Barnsley next week to get the seat hoop welded and then off for stripping and powder coating the frame and ancillaries…

Many thanks

Liam
Title: Re: 1976 CB750F SS disassembly probs with front forks
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on July 20, 2014, 08:18:08 PM
Liam
Yes it does help to leave it fully assembled.What I do is put some freeing agent on it leave it a while then use a blunt instrument the same size as the bolt head like a T bar making it a bit like a impact driver and give it a sharp belt with a hammer.Usually comes UN done then drain and strip.
Best of luck
Bitsa
Title: Re: 1976 CB750F SS disassembly probs with front forks
Post by: Green1 on July 20, 2014, 09:21:52 PM
If the bolt in the bottom just spins cut down a broom handle so it's a snug fit put the chrome nut back on and then the bolt should come out.

Mick
Title: Re: 1976 CB750F SS disassembly probs with front forks
Post by: Liam on July 21, 2014, 11:09:20 PM
Many thanks gents...  The allen bolt is the first thing to come out after the oil is drained.  The spring holds everything in place to enable the bolt to be fully unscrewed and withdrawn…  Doh!

Till next time.

Cheers
Title: Re: 1976 CB750F SS disassembly probs with front forks
Post by: paul G on July 22, 2014, 12:24:13 PM
Liam,

I usually take that bolt out first while the leg is still on the bike.
I use a ratchet strap to put some tension on the leg, this stops the inner from spinning when you try to undo the bolt.
Never failed yet and simple.

Regards,