Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: royhall on August 01, 2014, 05:39:35 PM

Title: Gasket sets
Post by: royhall on August 01, 2014, 05:39:35 PM
Picture the scene. All engine bits nicely repainted, all machining etc done, all spotlessly cleaned and neatly laid out on the bench. Here we go, open the 'full' gasket set and get assembling this beast. "But wait" where's all the bloody o-rings. Not a single o-ring has been supplied in this so called full gasket set from M&P. Has anybody else had this problem with Honda sets. Have so far rebuilt Triumph, Norton, and 3 Kawasaki's and not once have I encountered this problem. In fact the Kawasaki sets had extra's in them (that caused another problem in thinking I had missed some out) but hey, better that way. The question is, do I now need to identify every o-ring and order them separately, or can I just get an o-ring kit and use that. Not sure what type of rubber they are etc. Anyway the jobs stopped yet again whilst I wait for parts that should be there already. Happy days.
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Trigger on August 01, 2014, 07:21:14 PM
You must watch out when buying a Full gasket set. The wording is right. It doesn't say full gasket set and full O'ring set ;) And if you get on to M&P that is what they will tell you but, give it a go.
Full O'ring set. Never had one or seen one. Better to buy Vesrah or NP, that is if you can find one.
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on August 01, 2014, 08:52:06 PM
This is becoming a habit, agree with Trig always bought o rings separately for some reason
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 01, 2014, 10:07:36 PM
I think all 'O' rings with be nitrile rubber 70 Shore 'A' Hardness (70 is standard hardness)

You could always use Viton too but I doubt these were ever  fitted as standard and the standard grade of Viton is a little harder than nitrile at 75 Shore A

Cheers ... Ash
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: steff750 on August 01, 2014, 10:49:12 PM
 ;) I always made sure I bought a full kit when needed. and I only used to buy Honda gaskets or at auto jumbles where I can see the o rings in the packet ,I made sure i got the camshaft o rings  they are really small . i have had full  sets of eBay  as well with no problems
 ::)    but you will not get the oil seals like crankshaft seals ,gearbox and kick start oil seals or final drive or crankcase oil seals, they have always been  a separate kit even from Honda
 its a sign of the times  I spose higher prices and a lot less for your money  and getting harder to find quality gaskets sets ,customer care went out the window years ago
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: UK Pete on August 02, 2014, 08:32:54 AM
I think the Dave sillver set comes with o rings , give him a ring to find ou
tpete
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Spitfire on August 02, 2014, 09:03:58 AM
I bought a full set from David Silver Spares for my F1 but even that was missing some O rings which I had to order separately.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: royhall on August 02, 2014, 12:11:13 PM
Just a bit more info on the gasket set I bought. It's an NE Super Gasket brand from M&P, Part No. 995850, A High Level product. The gaskets in the kit appear to be of reasonable quality (although I haven't tried them yet), the only o-rings supplied with it were 8 for the tappet covers. Thanks for the info on the rubber type. Does anybody know if DSS sell these o-rings separately by part number. Cheers.
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on August 02, 2014, 12:44:42 PM
Got my last lot from DSS but the prices WILL surprise you
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: royhall on August 02, 2014, 01:07:15 PM
Holy mother, your right about the DSS prices. Not doing that, that's just plain old Dick Turpin robbery. Just been back to good old EBay, what a bunch of super stars. Got all the o-rings Nitrile 70 shore in the correct sizes. 10 each of the four sizes I need, £10.05p including postage for the whole lot. EBay saves the day again, this rebuild job would be impossible without EBay. Cheers.
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: r1_pete on August 05, 2014, 08:24:59 PM
I've an Athena set on its way, the pic shows many O rings, I'll let you know what it actually contains when it arrives.
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on August 05, 2014, 08:26:46 PM
Yes please Pete intrigued
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: steff750 on August 05, 2014, 10:47:28 PM
 ;) Athena that name rings a bell, i think you will be OK with them ones , I'm sure I've used them before , anyways let us know how much they cost now as well  ::)
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: UK Pete on August 06, 2014, 06:43:33 AM
people used to buy athena sets sell on the head gasket and use the honda head gasket,
pete
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Trigger on August 06, 2014, 07:48:04 AM
That must of been me Pete. Had lots of problem with the head gasket from Athena.
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 06, 2014, 08:06:50 AM
That must of been me Pete. Had lots of problem with the head gasket from Athena.

The K7 'Monster from the Swamp' parts bike I got for 50 quid came with part of an Athena Gasket set and must say I didn't like the look of some of the gaskets compared with NP. Instead of being the dark grey material they were a green colour and looked more like the gaskets my mate used on his Triumph 3TA back in 1970.... the one that leaked oil all over his old mans drive! Only thing in its favour was that there was a computer printed thin cardboard sheet  identifying all of the parts with part numbers description etc.
On my 250/400/4 rebuilds I always used NP and I have a set for my 750K0 top end and Honda for bottom end. Not sure how good the NP head gasket is for the 750K0 but I am sure I am going to find this out  ::)

Cheers .. Ash
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Trigger on August 06, 2014, 08:36:30 AM
OK Ash, we are a little clearer now. I would offer 3 to 5 each but, it is down to what he is willing to sell them for.
Where did you find those small screws and nuts? They fitted a treat to the button on the switch gear. Cheers for those Ash.

Opp's wrong post.
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 06, 2014, 08:44:32 AM
OK Ash, we are a little clearer now. I would offer 3 to 5 each but, it is down to what he is willing to sell them for.
Where did you find those small screws and nuts? They fitted a treat to the button on the switch gear. Cheers for those Ash.

I think he is looking at 5.50 GBP  each  for the bagged ones and 3 GBP for the non bagged ones but I need to be quick as someone else is sniffing round them.

Screws ... I make a focusing mechanism for an add on to a scanning electron microscope for a company near Cambridge. It has M1.4, M1.6 and M2 screw on it. If you need any more M2 screws / nuts  just shout  you can have them for free!!

If you want to buy a large quantity here is the RS Components P/N 528-693 (screws)  248-4551 Full Nuts  they are both A2 grade SS The nuts fit the 400/4 and others switch bush button . The screws the same but also fit the 250/400/4 trip meter knob (not the 250K0 though 'cos it doesn't have a trip meter!)

The smaller than M2 screws we get from these people
http://www.microfastenings.com/Home.aspx

Cheers ...ash
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on August 06, 2014, 06:52:44 PM
How did gasket sets get to nuts and bolts even if they are small?Might suit Trigs pockets though.Did the o rings come with it?
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Trigger on August 06, 2014, 08:08:15 PM
Are you telling me Bitsa that you buy gasket sets without nuts and bolts included ;)
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on August 06, 2014, 08:21:00 PM
Trig
In my fantasty world I wish there was a kit for f ING all of it.Guess what they ain't.
Or do you and your tight wad mates know different?
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Trigger on August 06, 2014, 08:43:56 PM
Bitsa, i do not want to know about your Fantasy world. 
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on August 06, 2014, 08:46:54 PM
Trig
Ease off mate thought we just jested or have you had a bad day?
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Gasket sets
Post by: r1_pete on August 07, 2014, 07:51:58 PM
Apart from the paper and head gaskets, here are the contents of the Athena gasket set bought here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360811566994?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT


Gaskets look OK to me, and there seems to be a lot of talk about these are bad these are good, but I used to regularly build suzuki and yamaha 250 bottom ends with gaskets tapped out of cornflake boxes and never had a leak. I think its more down to the mating surface prep..