Honda-SOHC
Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on August 02, 2014, 08:50:02 AM
-
Got a few wheels to strip down to recondition. Some are CB750 front and rear and some CB250K .Never had a go at wheel-building but want to have try sometime soon. My worst condition wheel is a CB750K1 front, which I won't be using. If I leave this one assembled will it act as a lacing pattern guide for all of the other wheels, albeit some are 36 and some 40 spoke wheels?
One for Bryan I suspect! Or any of you other wheel-building guys out there.
Cheers .... AshD
-
Ash... a quick comparison of all wheels will surely confirm (or otherwise) that the patterns are all exactly the same. The 40 spoked wheels are just 'one more set' of spokes over the smaller dia 36 wheels. But yes, a reference wheel in your workshop is better than any photo.
BEFORE you dismantle each wheel verify that the hub is not offset within the wheel, ie if so make a note of the off-centre measurement for the subsequent rebuild.
Once underway it'll quickly become obvious that there is only one way the spokes will fit... length wise. You'll be fiddling initially with inside / outside / which goes over blah blah... but honestly, it's not a big deal. After one wheel you'll not be needing any further reference. (insert spokes from the outside in & lace these up first, and then insert the other 1/2 of spokes from the inside-out & lace up)
One useful tip is to monitor / use the 'scuff' marks left in the hubs.... these will indicate which direction the spoke should leave the hub, and indeed, which side of the hub it sits. (tho' if you've polished these out it'd be no big deal)
Personally, I found it easier to lace the hub with it laid down on a flat surface... whether it helps or otherwise I did a write up in the Misc section. Whatever.. enjoy it... truly rewarding & not hard.
S
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,6762.0.html
-
Cheers Lobo. We need your post plus the one I did with all of the manuals on it in a 'sticky' thread like tey have on the hondatwins.net site. Or is there another way Steve. It's all info that new members could find easily then
I thought all 70's Honda wheels had zero offset. If not ...Oh S**t, I have stripped a couple down already :(
Cheers ... AshD
-
You mean like a "Knowledge Base" Ash?
WE have a FAQ but that's really aimed at "how to" on the forum.
Happy to set it up but it will need maintenance. You guys will have to post stuff there and delete all the "nice" replies so as to leave just the facts.
What do you think?
Steve
-
Ha! Let's put it this way... I HOPE all Hondas have zero offset as on each (4) occasions I only thought of it after...
Anyways, my Hondas do (now) have zero offset...
Good luck & enjoy...
-
Good write up Lobo, I made a copy for my winter restoration (CD175)
August 'Classic Bike' with James May (his PC 50). There is an article on wheel building, not sure if you have read it.
Alan
-
Cheers Al, .... will take a look @ CB mag. Good luck with the Sloper.
Simon