Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: simonster on August 12, 2014, 10:18:59 PM

Title: Is this a spacer issue on 500k -5mm play on the front wheel spindle
Post by: simonster on August 12, 2014, 10:18:59 PM
I have changed the mag wheels fitted to my '71 500 k for standard spoked wheels. All fittings are present as per the manual but I have 5mm sideways play of the wheel on the front sprindle. The gap between the spacer and fork is the 5mm and can be seen clearly on the two attached pics. I'm thinking this shouldn't be any measurable movement and now wonder whether the front mag wheel may have been 5mm greater in width, unless someone can suggest another reason for this? Unfortunately I don't have the mag wheel to measure.
Title: Re: Is this a spacer issue on 500k -5mm play on the front wheel spindle
Post by: Trigger on August 12, 2014, 10:37:49 PM
You have the spindle nut on the wrong way. Look at number 17 in the link>>>   http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb500-four-k0-england_model14653/partslist/F07.html#results
Title: Re: Is this a spacer issue on 500k -5mm play on the front wheel spindle
Post by: simonster on August 13, 2014, 01:45:10 PM
Doh!!...thanks, will try again and report..
Title: Re: Is this a spacer issue on 500k -5mm play on the front wheel spindle
Post by: Trigger on August 13, 2014, 06:58:17 PM
Simon, just turn it round. You tighten up the spindle on the wheel and then fit it to the forks.
Title: Re: Is this a spacer issue on 500k -5mm play on the front wheel spindle
Post by: simonster on August 14, 2014, 11:37:34 PM
Trigger, if feel pretty stupid..! It was obviously the wrong way but I never saw it..thanks for pointing this out as its cured the problem.
Title: Re: Is this a spacer issue on 500k -5mm play on the front wheel spindle
Post by: Trigger on August 15, 2014, 09:51:39 AM
Simon, this is what this forum is for. To share information to got the job right. I had a problem with a brake caliper fitting the disc that was doing my head in. I also had a horn wiring problem that one member had come across before. The lads on here came together and it got sorted.
You will not get an answer until you ask the question.
Title: Re: Is this a spacer issue on 500k -5mm play on the front wheel spindle
Post by: Ewan 500 K1 on August 16, 2014, 08:32:28 PM
well said Trig  :D