Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: JamesH on August 16, 2014, 09:07:10 AM

Title: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: JamesH on August 16, 2014, 09:07:10 AM
Morning chaps.

Had a paint correction session on the z1 tank last night (really just to clean it up a bit). Thought I'd share the results here. Took about 30-60 mins work in total with my DAS6 pro dual action polisher and Menzerna products.

Note the tank was clean and had been clay bar cleaned prior to starting this process.

The starting point:

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/uhaju5e8.jpg)

The DAS6 pro:

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/4yzu8u4a.jpg)

Menzerna polish:

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/uvu5arad.jpg)

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/e6u8yvyb.jpg)


Couple of dents I'll need to get PDR'd:

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/8ynuqare.jpg)

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/6e8anene.jpg)

After the first hit with the das6:

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/2e6ybyne.jpg)

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/a9amubu3.jpg)

Whole tank done:

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/ty4y2a5u.jpg)

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/yze8e7ap.jpg)

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/gyge9ugy.jpg)

(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/16/zujumuvu.jpg)






Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: Trigger on August 16, 2014, 11:52:51 AM
Sorry James i am not buying it. It did not get the dent out of the tank :D :D :D
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: Paull on August 16, 2014, 11:57:52 AM
 Hi Jamesh_sussex

What is clay bar cleaning.

Never heard of it.

Thanks

Paul
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: JamesH on August 16, 2014, 12:24:36 PM

Sorry James i am not buying it. It did not get the dent out of the tank :D :D :D
Yeah whatever Graham :-). Next job is to teach myself PDR - maybe not. Think it'll be sent off to these guys for that..:
http://www.motorcycledentremoval.co.uk/
They have my green 550/4 tank at the moment...
James
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: JamesH on August 16, 2014, 12:25:39 PM

Hi Jamesh_sussex

What is clay bar cleaning.

Never heard of it.

Thanks

Paul
Basically a soft abrasive bar that removes surface contamination prior to detailing.
I like the bilt hamber bars...just use with water..
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: JamesH on August 16, 2014, 12:31:01 PM
And if you want to learn more about detailing (I'm a complete novice) there are some good tips on this forum:

Www.detailingworld.co.uk.

James.
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: mike the bike on April 02, 2015, 07:27:58 PM
Hmm.   Sounds like an advert.
'New from JML,  the  DAS6 pro dual action polisher'
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: UK Pete on April 02, 2015, 08:17:59 PM
Looks like a great bit of kit i want one
Superb work on the z its a true beauty
pete
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: JamesH on April 02, 2015, 09:44:58 PM
You can borrow it anytime Pete...ta on the Z, I'm chuffed with how it's turned out. Just hope I don't hate it when I ride it ha ha....
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: Green1 on April 02, 2015, 09:56:08 PM
Looks great James I can't wait to ride it  ;)

Mick
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: Tiny Tim on April 02, 2015, 11:26:11 PM
Very nice looking bike James.
Not jealous at all ;)
Title: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: JamesH on April 03, 2015, 08:07:43 AM
Hi Oddjob, thanks for your advice mate. The thing with the BuiltHamber bars is they're formulated so they only require WATER as the lubricant,  so no need for SOAPY water...Have used them for years and never once had an issue. You'd have to go pretty hard with this stuff to get anywhere near 'burning' the paint with a clay bar and cold water. I also generally use a PTG to check levels before / during / after to assess how much material is being removed at each stage.
Oh and I think you'll find the professionals generally don't use dual action machines as they are much more skilled than us amateurs with da machines.
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: Green1 on April 03, 2015, 10:02:46 AM
I use a broom and a bucket on the truck and a sponge on the bikes.I know what you mean oddjob I too love the smell of the carnuba wax. My brother spends a small fortune cleaning his car a spray for this a spray for that bucket for this a cloth for that I'm to scared to go anywhere near it. 

Mick   
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: Bryanj on April 10, 2015, 03:24:23 PM
DRoooooooooooooooooooL
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: Woodside on April 10, 2015, 07:47:09 PM
I'll take it!
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: MCTID on April 10, 2015, 09:15:24 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH......splendid work James. It looks like a MILLION DOLLARS. I much prefer the new colour scheme - as its the same as the first Z I drooled over in 1975 on Paignton seafront when I was just young and daft.......(still daft but not so young now). Anyway, well done.....its a credit to your skill and vision. Best Regards.
Title: Re: Paint Correction: DAS polishing a Kawasaki Z1b Fuel Tank
Post by: Trigger on April 10, 2015, 09:58:19 PM
That is so much better James. Love the look of it now, it looks like a different bike.