Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Woodside on August 27, 2014, 11:21:56 PM

Title: Honest opinions please
Post by: Woodside on August 27, 2014, 11:21:56 PM
Right I've just got in from looking at a 73 cb500....
Good bits were.
Seat perfect
Rear mud gaurd perfect
A new set of later hm 323 pipes with the blurb on ...rear lhs top need a small repair but a very smart set
New nos clocks very clean
New rims all rebuilt with stainless spokes ( in fact a lot of stainless fasteners ...it's surprising how much they change the overall look of a bike....not my cup of tea)
Running very sweet
All taxed and tested ready to ride

All good up to now bad points
Tank,and panels wrong colours not a problem but tank showing signs of seepage..
Forks spongy but very straight and clean probably lack of oil
Now here's the biggy.........
The frame number does look as if some time it has been docterd .....it looks abit flat and the number 4 is very specific to these early bikes....this looked,wrong

And my question is...do you walk away now or do you think "well the guys owned it for almost 20 years and has all receipts from his purchase and all recipts for all parts purchased from DSS..including the pipes"?
And the price is probably less than the cost of all the parts if broken

Well what do you think ....I'm going to sleep on it
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: mick on August 28, 2014, 07:50:21 AM
I would buy it  ;)
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: Bryanj on August 28, 2014, 07:57:14 AM
At the right price, mot man must have inspected frame number several times and been happy
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: Woodside on August 28, 2014, 08:16:27 AM
That what I thought "it's been like it for 20+ years"
I'm pretty sure it's not honda number stamps I looked at my other 500 last night and the font is a lot smaller.....

There are at least 15 old mot's and like I say loads of receipts....
It doesn't really bother me but obviously at some point I would probably be selling it myself.....will it be a big issue?
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: Trigger on August 28, 2014, 08:56:03 AM
It depends on what sort of price he wants.
The MOT book says it must display a VIN number. You do not have to have the frame stamped. If i have a bike in and i can not read the VIN number (due to powder coating), i advise that a VIN plate is put on the bike. VIN plates can be bought from a French man that has a company named Armor-Plaques and are not expencive
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: RGP750 on August 28, 2014, 10:16:43 AM
I'd go for it if the price is right. ;)
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: Woodside on August 28, 2014, 10:56:00 AM
Yeah. I'm almost there...price wise i might as well say it's 1700......?   
If it wasn't for that frame stamp I would.be all over it...
So it's up to you lot to talk me in or out of it now

Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: Johnwebley on August 28, 2014, 11:04:02 AM
try a HPI check ,

incase anything comes up
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: JamesH on August 28, 2014, 11:32:29 AM
If the pipes are that good, given a NOS set of Honda pipes (if you can find them) is over £2k I think it's worth a punt IMHO.....
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on August 28, 2014, 12:34:12 PM
I was thinking £1800 before I got to the post where you say "1700"

A fair price I think.
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: tom400f on August 28, 2014, 03:40:00 PM
You *used* to be able to call DVLA (ok premium rate number) and quote them the details. They would only confirm whether the information they had matches what you gave them, and whether or not there was any police interest in the vehicle.

When I bought my 400F in 1995 or so at first they couldn't find the reg no. I thought, what to do, then I had the bright idea of quoting the reg number of my old 400F stolen in 1980. They said yes there is police interest in that vehicle, so at that time I had no negative info about the bike I was considering buying.

On a later call they managed to find it (it was like someone went down dusty corridor while I waited on the phone).

Free (if someone else pays for the phone call!)  and worth a shot. Otherwise as stated above HPI may be.
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: Trigger on August 28, 2014, 05:59:40 PM
I was thinking £500. The last one i got was £150 but, has had 20 times that spent on it. For 1,700 the pipes, tank, engine ect, ect would have to be in very good nick.
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: JamesH on August 28, 2014, 06:30:46 PM

I was thinking £500. The last one i got was £150 but, has had 20 times that spent on it. For 1,700 the pipes, tank, engine ect, ect would have to be in very good nick.
Thought you we're going to say 50p !!! :-)
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: Trigger on August 28, 2014, 06:37:33 PM
James, I can not believe that Bitsa over payed me 50p today ;D Opp's i was wrong,it was 40p :'(
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on August 28, 2014, 07:00:24 PM
Trig
I find you a challenge and you intrigue me did it on purpose to see if you trigged it and you did cushty mate dont spend it all at once
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: Trigger on August 28, 2014, 08:09:04 PM
Already spent it on the fuel going to the post office ;)
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on August 28, 2014, 08:11:28 PM
Nice reply Trig
Want to meet you!!!!!! Maybe some time
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Honest opinions please
Post by: JamesH on August 28, 2014, 10:28:52 PM
Get a room you two ;-)