Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: peterengland on September 03, 2014, 04:33:17 PM

Title: 550 MPG
Post by: peterengland on September 03, 2014, 04:33:17 PM
Just rechecked my mpg and at the moment I am getting 63 mpg from my 76 550. It has an F1 engine with PD46A carbs so I was wondering what you guys are getting?
Title: Re: 550 MPG
Post by: bike-pusher on September 03, 2014, 04:47:12 PM
None of the 550Fs I had ever got more than about 42mpg, and could be persuaded down to 30mpg.  My K (whichI think had different carbs managed 50mpg+. 

How anyone can get over 60mpg out of one baffles me.
Title: Re: 550 MPG
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 03, 2014, 05:04:02 PM
This months CMM Mira quoted  original test on JGC606N 'European spec  press bike' at 30mph fuel consuption was =101MPG so if you pottered on a 550 guess you could easily get over 60 mpg !.JGC is still around BTW.

Ash
Title: Re: 550 MPG
Post by: Green1 on September 03, 2014, 06:28:36 PM
I got all excited when I saw 550mpg maybe I should slow down a bit I only get about 35mpg out of my 750.

Mick 
Title: Re: 550 MPG
Post by: matthewmosse on September 03, 2014, 07:08:40 PM
My best ever was the 550k3, did Fort William, across the a9? To the east coast then down to Edinburgh, Glasgow and crosed the border before stopping for fuel. I had myself and a weeks lugage ,fuel can and oil plus tools on board, my mates 250 superdream used up the spare fuel. The rest of that week the 250 superdream my mate was on matched my 550 penny for penny at every fuel stop. The 500/4 sidecar could reguarly return 50mpg, I rode it like a nutcase a fair bit of the time. Motorways on flatter routes gave pretty good mpg, I could do Newtown to Leeds and back only needing to fill up well on the way home, carrying a spare bike collected in Leeds. I think my average was 10mpg better on the 550 than the 500, but how much of that was the refinements of the k3 carbs and engine and how much was the sidecar dragging her back I don't know, trying the k3 engine and carbs never really worked out reliably for some reason, possibly the k3 carbs varnished up in the years between being in my daily rider and going into the sidecar bike.
Title: Re: 550 MPG
Post by: peterengland on September 03, 2014, 07:18:42 PM
I ride it well within its capabilities, I never go above 6k revs, this is fine for 70mph in top and I have no desire to kill myself just yet!
Title: Re: 550 MPG
Post by: Trigger on September 03, 2014, 09:04:47 PM
I was getting 55-60mpg on a CB550F2. It was over the time of running in a rebuilt engine. The carbs had been totally rebuilt but, all this running in was done at no more 5.000 rpm.