Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Bodd on September 08, 2014, 01:32:30 PM

Title: Exhaust seal
Post by: Bodd on September 08, 2014, 01:32:30 PM
Is it common practice to use a sealing compound between the exhaust collars and gasket or is the gasket sufficient on it's own ?
Title: Re: Exhaust seal
Post by: tom400f on September 08, 2014, 01:41:34 PM
I assume you mean the head and not the downpipes/collector joints, but either way I've not heard it done and I don't believe it's necessary (mine are OK)
Title: Re: Exhaust seal
Post by: Bodd on September 08, 2014, 01:50:37 PM
I mean where the header attaches to the barrels via the collars and gasket, there are no collars or gaskets at the collector box junction, just some packing, I asked because when I stripped the bike down there was evidence that a previous owner had used a sealing compound.
Title: Re: Exhaust seal
Post by: bike-pusher on September 08, 2014, 02:36:14 PM
I've never seen it done and if decent gaskets are used it's not necessary anyway.
Title: Re: Exhaust seal
Post by: Bodd on September 08, 2014, 04:32:19 PM
I think you have both confirmed no need for a sealant, thanks guys.
Title: Re: Exhaust seal
Post by: Lynx on September 09, 2014, 10:19:12 PM
I expect someone stuffed a load of sealant in there just because they could be arsed to spend a few quid on new gaskets.
Title: Re: Exhaust seal
Post by: Dan on September 09, 2014, 11:17:36 PM
What exhaust have you decided on? Just out of interest ...
Title: Re: Exhaust seal
Post by: Bodd on September 10, 2014, 01:49:47 PM
What exhaust have you decided on? Just out of interest ...

Sort of home made, standard headers and collector box painted black with a 45mm 30 degree mandrel and a 340mm silencer with 45mm attachment bought off ebay.

[attach=1]